• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shifting from ITF to WTF

In Sept I'm off to uni which means leaving my current TKD club behind. I really want to keep it up (and possibly explore some other MAs too) and I will still train with my club in the holidays but:

One of the universities I'm looking at only has a WTF squad whereas I do ITF. Has anyone done the transition before, either from ITF to WTF or the other way around? How easy was it? Any issues?

I want to keep the ITF style going because I think the style really suits me, and I would love to explore WTF too but I'm thinking ITF might be a hinderance. Because they are so similar yet so different I'm worried that I'll end up with bad habits in both.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't worry about the habits. Just train as best you can, and work around them.

You will definitely notice the lack of sine wave movement in WTF. You will probably also see an increase in the amount of time you spend in sparring and drills, if the club has any kind of a team setup. However, it may be more like what you have done in the past, with different forms. I imagine some of the technique will change as well, but with what you know, I don't imagine you will suffer from it.

I have never made the switch, but I don't think it would be too bad.

You should look at both the postive and negative aspects of the two choices and then make a educated decision.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I did the reverse at one point in my training (Kukkiwon-style to ITF) when I was in college. I'll piggyback on the above poster & add enjoy the richness of the differences. There is value in both. The hard part is you're sadly not in a position (probably) where you will be able to share your side of the TKD street (so to speak).

Go in with an open mind willing to learn & you will benefit. Try not to point out the differences with your college instructors unless they ask about it. They are there to train you in their way. I tried to point out the differences often & was seen as a trouble maker, sometimes.

I see the richness & benefits in both. The forms, sparring, SD, etc. It's all good. It just takes an open mind.

My best to you.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to go from WTF to ITF and liked what I seen. I decided not to for various reasons and I am now learning the forms from ITF. Being a good judge I should know both styles and then some more. I learnded that the I will always be a student and I want to learn. Best advise....ENJOY.

Oh and get a good education. That should be the first choice for the school you choose. smiles

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I have had to do the opposite transition as well. I just have to lean the different ciriculum. The benifits are that you will bring some things to the table and you will learn somethings outside of 'the box' as well.