• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like to use this dominant position , usually switching from side control.

I find it very useful to pin the apponent , and when it is well done it´s very difficult to escape. Shoulder lock with the legs is kinda easy to achieve from there (not the same for the arm bar ).

My question is , why dont we see many scarf holds in MMA ???

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's not really a submission, so I would assume the only thing to do is Ground n Pound from there (or switch to a sub). Unfortuantely the Mount position is much easier to access from there,if you can pass, and much more proficient to Ground n' Pound from.

I've seen Matt Hughes Ground n' Pound his opponents from there, before achieving mount to finish it.

A New Age Dawns

I would guess you don't see the scarf hold as much because in MMA, they don't wear clothes. Otherwise, you are just holding on to their neck, and working for a choke, I guess.

They dont use it in mma because its not much of a submission hold, and also like someone said they dont wear cloths near there head in mma.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I would guess you don't see the scarf hold as much because in MMA, they don't wear clothes. Otherwise, you are just holding on to their neck, and working for a choke, I guess.

I love this hold! While the grip is different, the body positioning is pretty much the same for no gi. You just need to clasp behind their arm and head. Anyhow, you can get a great deal of control with this and it is a great setup for something like a kimura if you so wish.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

It's easy to escape. Since you don't have the underhook on the far side, the opponent can slip out the back door. All you need to do is frame against the neck and rapidly jerk the arm out. Now the opponent is free to armbar you, take your back, or simply stand up depending on the reaction they get.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I've been shown it getting hooks under both arms/ riding up on their ribs a bit to help. Either way it isn't a static position- you'll have to adjust yourself as your opponent moves. Nevertheless it can lead to a transition to a better position but I am not that experienced at ground fighting so I usually take what I can get :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I have been told that there is not scarf hold without control of the arm.... If you control the arm , and ´´walk ´´ in circles when the opponent wanna exit , you cand hold him for a good time. Am i wronng ?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

I have been told that there is not scarf hold without control of the arm.... If you control the arm , and ´´walk ´´ in circles when the opponent wanna exit , you cand hold him for a good time. Am i wronng ?
If I am visualizing what you are saying here, I think you might be on to something.
It's easy to escape. Since you don't have the underhook on the far side, the opponent can slip out the back door. All you need to do is frame against the neck and rapidly jerk the arm out. Now the opponent is free to armbar you, take your back, or simply stand up depending on the reaction they get.

Is this more due to the fact that you don't have the oppenent's legs engaged?

I've been shown it getting hooks under both arms/ riding up on their ribs a bit to help. Either way it isn't a static position- you'll have to adjust yourself as your opponent moves. Nevertheless it can lead to a transition to a better position but I am not that experienced at ground fighting so I usually take what I can get :P

If you have the underhook it's called Kuzure kesa gatame, broken scarf hold. It is, by far, the most secure of the two. When done properly and the weight is placed well, it's far harder to escape than the normal version because you have the ability to keep the opponent from turning onto his side.

A good opponent will get out rather easily. Especially when strikes are allowed and there's no gi.

Here's a link to pics of the two for anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about.

http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/Theory-pages/Kesa-Gatama.htm

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."