• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suck at kumite.

kkennedy219

Keep showing up to kumite.

In the meantime, you could try to improve your anaerobic fitness and aerobic strength.

This depends on what particular areas of your kumite are weak. If you start with a plan and change it to suit your growth, then this will improve your strength and skill. Never forget kata and kihon practice.

I remember starting kumite. It felt like I'd been run over :)

Osu!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My big problem is that I just don't see opportunitities when they present themselves...like if my opponent leaves himself wide open, I'll totally miss it and miss the shot.

Any advice on how not to miss these golden opportunitities?

When we did free sparring tonight, something clicked that reminds me of playing poker. You don't play the hand, you play the man. In sparring, if you've been at a dojo/dojang long enough (for me it's eight months), you pick certain things up about fellow students. Who's always kcking and never punching? Who uses his right leg exclusively? Who never, and I mean never, guards his face? Who can you throw punches to the face to and the guy is always startled, that he overreacts? And who (this is me) can't throw high kicks? (That's why I use my dukes to attack the upper body; my kicks go for the thighs and, because of my own height, the lower midsection of my opponent.)

Does anybody else in the forum "know" who they're sparring against in the dojo/dojang, and so fight the "(wo)man" rather than the fists and feet?

:-? :) :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Those are good points, Joe. Its easier if you are familiar with who you are sparring with. If it is someone knew, then you have to rely on your own skills for long enough to figure out some tendencies.

I know there are some guys at the school that I can try new things with, and there are others that I have a layout for, and try to stick to it. Its the fun part of sparring, really.

Yeah, joe. I think this sort of thing pretty much happens everywhere there is free fighting as part of the training protocol. It can be a trap if you let it I think.

I take time to make, and I mean make, myself work on different things with the partners I'm familiar with. Even if it means I don't do my best in that particular match. That's what keeps me brining up the level on some of the skills I don't use all the time.

It's easy to use the same movements over and over again and never develop new skill sets. Espically when you are familiar with your opponant and know what will work agaisnt them.

Its easier if you are familiar with who you are sparring with. If it is someone knew, then you have to rely on your own skills . . .

I know there are some guys at the school that I can try new things with, and there are others that I have a layout for . . .

I take time to make, and I mean make, myself work on different things with the partners I'm familiar with. Even if it means I don't do my best in that particular match. That's what keeps me brining up the level on some of the skills I don't use all the time.

I think we're always going to look for a chink in the armor, and it's easier with someone whose game you already know than a guy who may have a card up his sleeve.

When I spar with a lower belt or certain equal belts, I do try things I wouldn't try with a higher belt or another equal belt--yet. I've been working on that outside-inside crescent kick, and I used it against a higher belt in class last night, which likely surprised him, because I've stuck with front kicks and 45 degrees roundhouses whenever we fought. I'm more confident now in trying to use it whenever I can, no matter who, from the practice I've had. I have to decide if I'm going to work more on the inside-outside crescent or the side kick with the lower belts, so that I can give one of them more of a go with the higher belts.

I'll still take advantage of a belt above white who isn't protecting his face, that I'll fire off some shots there as though a present were being given to me. A couple of times, though, I reminded a new white belt I sparred with yesterday to protect his face. I think that's a responsibility as a higher belt, since I was sparring with him at the time; taking him aside about his sparring would be something I'd prefer done by our instructor.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'll still take advantage of a belt above white who isn't protecting his face, that I'll fire off some shots there as though a present were being given to me. A couple of times, though, I reminded a new white belt I sparred with yesterday to protect his face. I think that's a responsibility as a higher belt, since I was sparring with him at the time; taking him aside about his sparring would be something I'd prefer done by our instructor.

Well, a high rank should be helping with this. But at the same time, its a tough lesson to get across when the sparring is non-contact. The threat just isn't there, and it effects the respect given to techniques. Now, if you were actually allowed to pop them every now and then, they would learn that lesson a lot quicker.

In our dojo, some controlled contact is allowed. If you don't protect yourself, you're likely to get hit! It's a good lesson.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Try to RELAX and SLOW DOWN. Sometimes, if you just slow down the pace to 3/4 speed or half the speed you spar at, you can find some openings and connect with it. Also, you might want to ask another student or one of the instructors to help you with sparring, and maybe ask for more kumite time? The main thing is to relax and have fun. Don't worry--it will come naturally. Good luck on your kumite!

All thoughts have consequences.

• 5 months later...

Have a great deal of sympathy with the original poster as it reminds me of me.

I really am new to this, and thought I would be scared of kumite(I am not a fighter) but took well to it the other night. apart from the finger break.

I am going to be apprehensive fighting higher grades and more experience, and started getting annoyed the other night to when I was not blocking properly.

From my football days I will give you this advice - DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED!!!

You only end up angry and trying too hard, which will lead to getting caught. I should take note of this myself!