• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suck at kumite.

kkennedy219

Don't just wait for opportunities to happen. Create them.

Move around, see if he moves around because of it. Oh! He lowered his hand while moving towards you.. BANG!

No opening? Make it look like you were going to throw a low kick without actually doing it (be careful not to create an opening for him!) did he react? Did he open himself because of that? BANG! Hit there.

Everytime he kicks you and misses or you block... his leg has got to come back. Perfect time to attack back.

See what I'm getting to?

If this is full contact sparring, just hit as **** hard as you can and the impact itself will create an opening or unfocus them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oldest trick in the book for creating an opening is to jab to the face. It works against junior belts about 90% of the time.

After you get a bit more seasoned, you find that the counter-attack can be a karatka's bread and butter. Every attack creates an opening in the attacker's defense.

Keep that in mind, and you'll do ok.

My problem when I spar is that I'm TOO aggressive. I come in like a freight-train, and I end up getting popped.

Also, in junior ranks, the more aggressive normally wins :P

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

I am going answer with an assumption that perhaps you don't have someone to practice with.

When I have free time at the gym I normally go to the activities room and just do some free form with my kihon and shadowbox in front of the mirror. A little imagination and some experimenting will help you find what combination(s) you're comfortable with and allow you to practice reactionary techniques if you're not the type to initiate.

Start with something really basic, like what Grego said at first with the jab and reverse punch/follow-up technique, imagine someone coming at you with that and create a proper counter to it. ie- shifting to side and throwing a punch or round house.

I wish I was more articulate, but I hope this helps!

Hi there,

Also try to enhance your understanding of Kumite.

I've gotten most of my understanding out of books on Kata, Bunkai and Kumite (including strategy).

Then just pick one thing that you would like to try/improve and focus on that in your next sparring session.

I also recommend to pick one of your Karate colleagues and do light Randori before/after the training.

Hope that helps.

Training in kumite with a specific focus in mind can be a huge benefit. I really believe that.

I had a sparring night tonight that I came out of feeling pretty crappy about. I try not to get down on myself, and we all have off days. So, its back to the drawing board, and time to work on some stuff.

As i have stated in earlier posts I am new back to Karate but do have a lot of experience in boxing sparring. One technique i have carried over to the sparring in Karate is to change to southpaw. I am equally comfortable from either stance and found that this immediatly puzzled my opponent aand allowed me good access to his body.

I would recommend practicing a south paw stance.

Everyone has off days, bushido man. Best to shake it off and give it a post-action break down to see what wasn't working and why. I've always found that to be extrememly helpful.

Everyone has off days, bushido man. Best to shake it off and give it a post-action break down to see what wasn't working and why. I've always found that to be extrememly helpful.
Yeah, I've been looking at it from that point of view, and trying to think of things to do to change it up a bit. I think I need to attack more, but it hasn't been working for me. So, I'm looking into it...

Its not being hit that bothers me; I can trade blows without a problem.

What bothers me the most is taking that side kick that keeps me away from being able to trade blows. That sucks.