• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suck at kumite.

kkennedy219

All above are good points and should help.

One thing that may help as well is specifically focusing on you weakness during sparring. Go out and work specifically with a partner whose intent is to "feed" you opening. Explain the situation to a senior member, one who has a strength in free fighing and just ask him to occassionally "give" you openings. Then reallly work to capitalize on them. If you're missing one, he can point it out and you can continue.

I find that training this way really helps. Also, I don't know how you spar at your school, but this type of training really works best in a continous manner rather than stopping at a point. This way, your body gets into the feel of the movments and you can rep more corrent movments as you see the openings, a key to gaining a new skill.

Another drill I would use is working with a pair of focus mitts. Have a partner move and circle as if your sparring. He should have the mitts against h is body while doing this. Then he will randomly "feed" them out for a strike. Anything is on, punches, kicks, elbows, what ever your system and level allow. This will get y ou used to exploding from a moving position to attack.

Once you get the hang of that, have the mitt holder throw some easy shots out with the mitts. You cover and move as if it were a fight. He will then present the mitt or both mitts for counters. This keeps you moving and defending prior to attacking. I know this can sometimes trip of even expeiaenced fighters.

It helps if you get a good partner for these last two drills as well. One who's good at sparring. That way the openings he will feed you are ones that you are more likely to see in reality.

Just a couple of thoughts to add on to the good advice already given. Whoever said above about keeping a positive focus through all of t his may have hit the most important factor that will run through all your training. Keep working, keep your chin up (figuratively, of course :) ).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kumite at times isn't for everyone; although everyone needs to engage in it as much as possible. Kumite is essential for any and all Martial Artists, particularly the kyu levels.

The more you engage in Kumite the easier it will become. If nothing else, fear of getting hit is diminished through...getting hit.

Time heals all wounds. Thus, time allows Kumite to grow within you. The first thing one must do is BELIEVE in themself. After that, it's all down hill.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

just breath and apply your skills. breathing is half the battle to victory. and even if you suck. you learn everytime. take what you have learned and push forward

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

There is so much different aspects to keep in mind during kumite. I do not seems to have that much problem finding opportunities but I have a hard time managing my energy and doing my strikes properly.

I just can not seem to relax so even if I am not doing much I am using a lot of energy for nothing. It's giving me a hard time if we have to do lots of round. I have to focus on that. Also like shotokanka92, to breath a bit here and there could help also :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I hope your grading went well. I'm new to forums but hope I can help. I've been studying karate - okinawan goju ryu for 30 years now. Studied under a great deal of teachers, Kiyoda in Okinawa, Meitoku Yagi Dai Sensei a couple of times, Ikemiyagi and they all had the same advice. Kumite comes from the breakdown of practise over time. Apply the techniques until you become comfortable with each one on a bag or makiwara. Train small sections of kata over and over. Until you are relaxed and confident with each move. And what each move does. Visualise the real thing.

Although we dont believe in kumite sport, you must start slow. After all you didnt learn to punch correctly in a day. Use simple blocks try not to get too complicated. Use your eyes well so the other person is frightened, breathe correctly and you will be fine. Its our culture to hurry and get good at things quickly. But karatedo comes slowly. Take your time.

Good luck

goju ryu josh

I just started Wado Ryu and I am glad that I am not the only one having trouble with Kumite. It is hard but as the others say it will come in time. Relax and keep trying and eventually it will all come together.

My problem is I think to much, worry about my techniques, and am too stiff.

Hang in there my friend and eventually we'll be Kumite Masters.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

Listen to your sensei. For the most part he is right! It does take years of experience, but also lots of practice. Let him know if you would like to have more chances for kumite. To be honest, you may never feel totaly confident in your kumite ability as long as you are training right. That means training hard and against challenging opponents who are willing to help teach you something. Thats OK as long as you are constantly striving to improve yourself. Ever seen The Karate Kid? Daniel asks Mr. Miyagi if he is ever scared to fight, Mr. Miyagi replies, every time.

• 3 weeks later...
Ignore this post if you're not interested in listening to me whine. I suck at kumite. I'm still in the lower grades and we only do actual free sparring every so often, so in my own defense I haven't had all that much opportunity to practice it, and sensei is always saying how it takes years of training to really develop the skills. So I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself, but it's just in my bones to be hard on myself, so I feel like I should be light years ahead of where I am in terms of skill. My big problem is that I just don't see opportunitities when they present themselves...like if my opponent leaves himself wide open, I'll totally miss it and miss the shot.

Any advice on how not to miss these golden opportunitities?

I'm testing for rank advancement this weekend! I'm very confident in all my other abilities except for kumite. Hopefully it won't be too big a factor on the test.

1. Relax, get used to getting hit without getting upset

2. Try to find more oppurtunities to spar, practice makes perfect.

3. Breathe

as stated earlier, The whole "trick" is to allow your mind and body to relax. If you're actively looking for openings, you will see one and immediately compute it - you'll feel a little shock about discovering it and try to arrange which technique to use - and then by the time you make your motion the opening is gone.

If your mind and body are ready but relaxed, you are able to react to an opening rather than actively strike it.

Here's the tough part - no one is programmed to react to an opening because they don't have the skillset ingrained in them yet. In order to acquire the skillset, you have train repetition. repetition,repetition,repetition so that your body moves without excessive conscious thought. You don't need to free spar all the time to get better at free sparring (although fairly regular sparring is important).

Best of luck in your continued training!

ten no kata is part of your style if im not mistaken, if you practice block and strike drills such as that it will familarize you body and mind as to how your opponent would be positioned when he is open that may be of some use. we have always been very good at seeing these openings and we do an outrageous amount of blocking drills in my school.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."