• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Lying" for Protection?

When I was practicing Kung Fu many years ago with a Mang Chaun Kung Fu clan, they had an unusual practice of tending to deliberately lie about certain aspects of their martial arts training. They would lie about what injuries they had received, what training they most commonly worked on, how hard and how often they would train, and many other factors. This policy was encouraged by the instructor. The rationale is that you might find it necessary to conceal some or all of these things even from your closest friends for effective real-world protection. For example, your friend might let something slip in a conversation that gives a bully the knowledge he needs to defeat you. Most of the time, honesty was the preferred policy of the school, but if there was some way that a fact could be used again you, it was often fabricated with 10% to 50% fiction or more. Our high school did have a lot of gang fights, so conversations about training did have some light impact on how people did in those kinds of engagements. However, I didn't really feel comfortable with lying about these kinds of things. What do other people think of this trick? I can see how it can rarely help, but not always, and probably not as often as just maintaining a pacifistic attitude.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lied a couple of times for this reason. I always made myself seem better. I used the logic that they will either back down or become nervous about who they're fighting at least.

I have lied a couple of times for this reason. I always made myself seem better. I used the logic that they will either back down or become nervous about who they're fighting at least.

yep yep yep :) I agree, You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard- that is a quote from batman begins.. and I agree with it fully! but I wouldnt go around telling everybody that I am strong fast and and beat everybody up though..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I don't either. And I always keep it in realistic perspectives if I have to lie to someone. To give a rough idea, I imagine what I'd be like with two more months of intense consistent training and give that.

I dont think its right , and if you lie it shows how much self efficacy you really have.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

lol , so you dont really follow your conscience.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

lol , so you dont really follow your conscience.

not exactly gonna work like that in a life or death situation my friend... in a situation like that, your conscience is long gone...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Whenever I get asked about my level of training by those I don't really know, I just try to slough it off to nothing really major. I don't like to mention it too much.