• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Randori helps Sparring

"Randori" is a Japanese exercise that is a prelude to sparring. Randori really helps the sparring endeavor, but it is not as common in the United States as it perhaps should be. In Randori exercises, one person makes a certain number of attacks to begin against a partner who preforms any applicable defense, usually blocking but dodging is also acceptable. Then the second person immediately attacks the first with the predetermined number of strikes and the first person defends. This goes back and forth in a controlled manner for the duration of the exercise. Generally, you have 1-step randori to start, in which one attack is made, and then you go to two-step and three-step randori. Advanced students take it to four-step and five-step randori, but going beyond this is rare. In Judo, randori is done by throwing the opponent, usually in the 1-step format. To make randori even easier for beginners, you can have the attacker make his controlled attack with the understanding that it will touch and then make his attack again with the understanding that the other person will block or dodge. Thus, that way, you know what is coming clearly. How many people here do randori? It really helps sparring. How many people think they are going to give it a try for the first time? Just curious!

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I always understood randori to be "free" practice, and not prearranged. We do what are called one-steps, that are prearranged, and then work up to free sparring.

According to what I've studied of Aikido, Randori is not predetermined. One or more people run full speed at you and they are allowed to do anything they want and you are to counter with anything you want.

I'm pretty sure most people do randori in Judo, but in my school, it is just cooperative- if someone really starts to get a throw, you allow them to continue to practice the motions.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I think you may be a bit mixed up. Randori does not/should not have a prearranged pattern. In Judo it's free practice where one person tries to get their throw on another. Randori isn't usually used in Karate forms. Instead, they usually use the word Kumite.

As Kumite is a general word for sparring or fighting, several types were established:

1. Ippon Kumite- the opponent typically throws an attack and it is immediately defended. However, the movements are completely predetermined.

2. Sanbon Kumite- three techniques are thrown by the uki (sometimes they are pre determined and sometimes they are not). The Tori blocks/evades the three techniques and counters.

3. Kiso Kumite- A word I rarely hear utilized, it refers to kumite drawn directly from kata. More commonly you will hear the words bunkai and oyo used for this type of kumite practice.

4. Jiyu Kumite- this is free sparring, what Judo would call randori. The attacks are not predetermined and neither are the defenses.

I hope this was helpful.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yes i think that it is a great way of training, and everyone should do it some time during their MA experience.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

You are mixing up your terms. Randori is sparring- not prearranged or anything. And yes, I do train judo in Japan.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt