• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Broken Bones and Wrist Locks

I read that China did some martial arts experiments during World War Two in which they essentially utilized their high population in controlled and semi-controlled fights to verify certain martial arts concepts for the military. One of the discoveries they made was that if you break a bone or shatter a joint, your body tends to go into shock, and when that happens, you can't fight effectively and so you tend to lose. Some of the easiest bone breaks are "Wrist Locks" like the ones that appear in Ninjutsu. Basically, you turn the wrist inwards and then rotate clockwise or counterclockwise until you snap the wrist. Sometimes the opponent will try to escape the motion by going into a throw or roll against the rgound to protect the captured wrist. However, wrist locks are not the sole province of Ninjutsu by any means, and appear in many styles, but not everywhere you might think. Brazilian Jujutsu lacks wrist locks, for example. Does your style contain them? Wrist locks can even be applied defensively against an incoming punch, as they do in Aikido. What do people think of this area of fighting?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great, although it may be hard to pull off sometimes, wrist locks work against our own body mechanics, I like them, and I find them effective.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Go against a fully resistning opponent, and you may find that applying a wrist lock is more difficult than expected. Also, the size and strength of the individual comes into play. They do have their uses, but you have to be smart when applying them.

Go against a fully resistning opponent, and you may find that applying a wrist lock is more difficult than expected. Also, the size and strength of the individual comes into play. They do have their uses, but you have to be smart when applying them.

yeah, I would probably use you a setup strike, then go for the lock.. they go over lots of that in Ninjutsu as well.. and also thats why I like Judo so much, because, in a tournament there is a person equally or more skilled in the exact same art and knows you are trying to throw him or her.. and if you can still do it, that makes it effective..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I dissagree. You should use the technique as quickly and fluently without pulling back. If size and strength become an issue, I think you're not good enough at the technique.

I dissagree. You should use the technique as quickly and fluently without pulling back. If size and strength become an issue, I think you're not good enough at the technique.

I agree, but that one guy who is flailing around throwing haymakers, it will become difficult to perform the wrist lock even with no strength on the opponents side.. and if the guy is resisting wouldn't you go with the force, I mean that is Aikido's general idea? :)

Indeed. I thought that was given though. My bad. You move out of the opponent's range after grabbing the wrist. Do the first two parts of the technique at full throtle but with fluiditiy and that should pull him off balance if done correctly. At that point, it becomes incredibly difficult for him to retaliate with a strike. Instinctively he'll try to wiggle out of it. That's why it's important to get and keep your grip tight and proper from the beginning to the end. At this point one of two things will happen (if you've done it correctly). He may fall or flip into it - if this happens, he's got to hit the ground sometime right? Before he gets up, pin his elbow to the ground and bend his wrist down towards his chest and over pointing to his neck at the same time. Push down violently (note, this is moving into a totally different technique). That will either (or both) snap the wrist or snap a forearm bone. If he doesn't fall into it - Keep going with the technique. He'll end up tripping over himself. Or his resistance will be his downfall and his wrist will break from the pressure of the fast-and-fluid mechanics being pushed against it.

That's a very common concept in Aikido, since you mentioned it, Throwdown0850. They mainly practice techniques that do that but control it (on giving end) and fall into it (on recieving end) while practicing to avoid a broken arm. If the instructor is good enough, these things feel like your wrist, elbow or arm are going to be destroyed with all you're doing to avoid it. At least, this is what all of my research has showed me. Am I right?

Indeed. I thought that was given though. My bad. You move out of the opponent's range after grabbing the wrist. Do the first two parts of the technique at full throtle but with fluiditiy and that should pull him off balance if done correctly. At that point, it becomes incredibly difficult for him to retaliate with a strike. Instinctively he'll try to wiggle out of it. That's why it's important to get and keep your grip tight and proper from the beginning to the end. At this point one of two things will happen (if you've done it correctly). He may fall or flip into it - if this happens, he's got to hit the ground sometime right? Before he gets up, pin his elbow to the ground and bend his wrist down towards his chest and over pointing to his neck at the same time. Push down violently (note, this is moving into a totally different technique). That will either (or both) snap the wrist or snap a forearm bone. If he doesn't fall into it - Keep going with the technique. He'll end up tripping over himself. Or his resistance will be his downfall and his wrist will break from the pressure of the fast-and-fluid mechanics being pushed against it.

That's a very common concept in Aikido, since you mentioned it, Throwdown0850. They mainly practice techniques that do that but control it (on giving end) and fall into it (on recieving end) while practicing to avoid a broken arm. If the instructor is good enough, these things feel like your wrist, elbow or arm are going to be destroyed with all you're doing to avoid it. At least, this is what all of my research has showed me. Am I right?

Yep, your right.. :) I just started Tomiki-Ryu Aikido and we was talking about that a couple of days ago actually..

I think that it depends on the bone that gets broken , if its a wrist , i would still be able to fight at around 88% of my full. But say a broken foot or leg , then that would be much worse say 55%. It depends if you have done a style were you need to ignor pain. i.e. Kung-Fu

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.