• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado Ryu Kumite v Ashihara/Kyokushin Kumite - differences

Dobbersky

The only difference between karate "styles" is the kata they practise. Shotokan will have different kihon to Goju sure, but that kihon is designed for kata. Hence, kata is the only real difference between "styles".

If a dan grade from another club (style) joins my club, we take them on at the grade they are.

Nope,

Arguably all kihon is a reflection of a style's Kata, as that’s where it comes from, but equally what defines each of the styles is how exactly they perform their kata. Wado's pinan Nidan is performed very differently that of Shito ryu. Not only are there different moves, there are different objectives and ways of doing them.

It will be a sad day for me when all karate styles are homogenised into one.

Every karate is the same - punch, kick, step, block etc. Variations of these are down to the person out the front teaching and their influence/experience/knowledge.

Not every Wado club does kata the exact same way. The same can be said about Shoto, Shito, and Goju.

The "objectives" of all karate may be the same, however the methods of acheiving the end result often differ.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Every karate is the same - punch, kick, step, block etc. Variations of these are down to the person out the front teaching and their influence/experience/knowledge.

Not every Wado club does kata the exact same way. The same can be said about Shoto, Shito, and Goju.

The "objectives" of all karate may be the same, however the methods of acheiving the end result often differ.

I agree. But the method of achieving these results are dependent on your instructor regardless of "style".

But at the end of the day, "styles" of karate differ between kata. It is easy to tell which "style" of karate one practises by the kata they perform.

I agree. But the method of achieving these results are dependent on your instructor regardless of "style".

It can be, but most styles exist because they have an established pedagogy encoded within their system.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

ps GOM I'm not ignoring your post on the other thread, I'm just halfway through penning an epic lol, and what with all the "quotes" etc its taking some time and its getting a bit late over here so may have to finish tomorrow.

Bear with me.

lol yes i like to read a good debate aswell.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

^^ Yeah tell me about it! I was up at 6am this morning rattling off that one :)

I love a good honest debate, keep them coming!

Will do. Unfortunately work has an irritating habit of getting in the way of fun things, and tonight is Club night so will have to keep you waiting.

I want to provide decent info, so would rather not rush it.