• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado Ryu Kumite v Ashihara/Kyokushin Kumite - differences

Dobbersky

Sensei, Sempai and Kohai

Please advise what the difference are between the 2 types of Kumite. I would love to take part in a Wado Ryu Kumite competition but don't want to be disqualified for 'Illegal techniques' please advise

Also, I am a blackbelt in Ashihara but Kyu Grade in Wado Ryu, do I enter as a Kyu Grade or Enter as a Dan Grade

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In general, if you hold a Dan grade in any system, you should enter all competitions as a dan grade. Differences would be If you were to go to a Judo, BJJ, or say Kendo tourney.

Just examine the rules and stick to them. Then you won't be disqualified.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Sensei, Sempai and Kohai

One thing I seem to chuckle resepctfully at - is that a Blackbelt in one style is not considered a Blackbelt in another style, unless its for a Kumite.

But yes I totally agree with you regards entering as a Blackbelt as a different Skill level is required and entering as a Kyu grade would put me at unfair Advantage.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Sensei, Sempai and Kohai

One thing I seem to chuckle resepctfully at - is that a Blackbelt in one style is not considered a Blackbelt in another style, unless its for a Kumite.

But yes I totally agree with you regards entering as a Blackbelt as a different Skill level is required and entering as a Kyu grade would put me at unfair Advantage.

Osu

In regards to sparring, a black belt of any style should have a much higher degree of skill in regards to footwork, reaction time, and technical ability. The main reason that a blackbelt in one style is not a blackbelt in another is more about the other details such as etiquette, forms, and drills. As those are considered important as well, a person can not be a blackbelt in the style without knowing them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Sensei, Sempai and Kohai

Please advise what the difference are between the 2 types of Kumite. I would love to take part in a Wado Ryu Kumite competition but don't want to be disqualified for 'Illegal techniques' please advise

Also, I am a blackbelt in Ashihara but Kyu Grade in Wado Ryu, do I enter as a Kyu Grade or Enter as a Dan Grade

Osu

The kumite in Wado competitions is usually in accordance with WKF regulations.

In essence a point scoring semi contact system using lightweight mitts and shin guards etc. Only specific areas of the body will score and there are no kicks permitted beneath the waist.

From what I have seen of Kyokushin kumite in competition it is full contact and whilst no punching of the head is allowed (only kicks?); you are permitted to kick the thighs.

So it is a sort of different game really. Both requiring a great deal of skill to do properly.

As to what grade you enter the competition well I suppose that’s up to you. Most senior competitions are only categorised by weight anyway, so your grade doesn't matter.

If it’s a local, smaller competition then they may categorise by grade i.e. beginners (up 7th Kyu), Intermediate (7th - 4th Kyu) and senior 3rd Kyu and above). Also if you are being entered as part of a club then it’s really down to your club instructor to advise.

I would say you should go in at your Wado grade, particularly as you may have limited experience in WKF style comps.

Sensei, Sempai and Kohai

I agree with PS1. A dan grade in one style of Karate does not mean it should be recognised as a dan grade in another.

In addition to the obvious i.e. Katas and Pairwork drills etc, there are also the more subtle differences stances, movement, kime and breathing etc. The things that take a long time to grasp. and are not interchangeable between styles.

Good luck in the comp though and let us know how you get on.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

In regards to sparring, a black belt of any style should have a much higher degree of skill in regards to footwork, reaction time, and technical ability. The main reason that a blackbelt in one style is not a blackbelt in another is more about the other details such as etiquette, forms, and drills. As those are considered important as well, a person can not be a blackbelt in the style without knowing them.

I agree with ps1. Most times it is a formality more than anything. You should be able to fight much better than the colored belts.

I would think that the contact level may be different at this tourney, so I would look into that if I were you.

I agree with ps1. Most times it is a formality more than anything. You should be able to fight much better than the colored belts.

I would think that the contact level may be different at this tourney, so I would look into that if I were you.

With all respect, the formalities are practically irrelevant. Its how they do their karate that counts. Not how they perform their "Reigi" as that will often be different in two dojos of the same style.

Kumite is Kumite at the end of the day but fact is, a Goju person has a different method of doing karate than a Shito-ryu person, and thats the unavoidable truth.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

The only difference between karate "styles" is the kata they practise. Shotokan will have different kihon to Goju sure, but that kihon is designed for kata. Hence, kata is the only real difference between "styles".

If a dan grade from another club (style) joins my club, we take them on at the grade they are.

The only difference between karate "styles" is the kata they practise. Shotokan will have different kihon to Goju sure, but that kihon is designed for kata. Hence, kata is the only real difference between "styles".

If a dan grade from another club (style) joins my club, we take them on at the grade they are.

Nope,

It goes a lot deeper than that. For example if "kime" were to be described as the tensioning of the body structure at the point of impact, how much do you put into a punch? IE is it at the point if impact until it leaves the target, or is it a split second before? Different styles apply different types of Kime.

Arguably all kihon is a reflection of a style's Kata, as that’s where it comes from, but equally what defines each of the styles is how exactly they perform their kata. Wado's pinan Nidan is performed very differently that of Shito ryu. Not only are there different moves, there are different objectives and ways of doing them.

It will be a sad day for me when all karate styles are homogenised into one.

Nope,

Arguably all kihon is a reflection of a style's Kata, as that’s where it comes from, but equally what defines each of the styles is how exactly they perform their kata. Wado's pinan Nidan is performed very differently that of Shito ryu. Not only are there different moves, there are different objectives and ways of doing them.

It will be a sad day for me when all karate styles are homogenised into one.

Every karate is the same - punch, kick, step, block etc. Variations of these are down to the person out the front teaching and their influence/experience/knowledge.

Not every Wado club does kata the exact same way. The same can be said about Shoto, Shito, and Goju.