• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Carjacking Scenarios

In all seriousness, how likely is the average person to be a victim of a carjacking in their lifetime? Obviously this depends on where you live, but I'm pretty sure if you're not cruising in South Central LA or Johannesburg that your chances of suffering such an attack are tiny. Add to that taking preventative measures and I don't see why you'd bother trying to train a defense while seated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because familiarity goes along way. Maybe it shouldn't be a regualar rotation for your training, but it deserves attention. Building in a comfort factor by prior practice will go along way should it ever be needed.

Add in the fact that practicing from seated in a car will have a certain amount of crossover training for any seated position and you start to build a bretty good argument.

Training defense from different postures shouldn't be based on the assumption that it won't happen to you. The likelyhood of attack should factor into the percentage of time devoted to that skill set, but that's a big diference than writing it off entirely.

Under what circumstances do people have to deal with a physical assault beginning while they're seated AT ALL? I've only known this to happen in bars when the victim is not aware and/or drunk. If you get sucker punched when you're sitting down, awareness and hanging around in bad bars is your downfall, not neglecting to train defenses against it.

So let's say you do get sucker punched at a bar. Best to have at least drilled the concept occasionally. Last I checked one could go to a bar and not be looking for a fight and still have bad things find them.

Again, there are people that get carjacked as well. Best to know how your planned responses work and function under constrained conditions.

At the end of the day, it happens, regardless of the situation or the setting. I'm not saying that it needs to be done constantly, but it should be done.

No one is 100% turned on and tuned in all the time. I'll hedge my bets a bit.

So let's say you do get sucker punched at a bar. Best to have at least drilled the concept occasionally. Last I checked one could go to a bar and not be looking for a fight and still have bad things find them.

If you did get sucker punched, you won't be sitting on the chair when you're defending yourself, assuming you weren't KO'd straight away. And if you saw the fight starting before he punched, you'd have gotten on your feet.

Again, there are people that get carjacked as well. Best to know how your planned responses work and function under constrained conditions.

But again, it happens so rarely to a person who doesn't kerb-crawl in gangster territory that it's a waste of time. You are almost certainly not in the demographic of people who are likely to suffer a carjacking.

No one is 100% turned on and tuned in all the time. I'll hedge my bets a bit.

If you've allowed yourself to enter an environment where you could get sucker punched as you're sitting down or carjacked, and been unaware right up to the point there's a fist or gun in your face, then your chances of not getting beaten the crap out of and/or having your car stolen are slim to none, and there's no strategy or particular technique that's going to flip the odds in your favour any more than just lashing back with violent intent and the basic techniques you already know.

In all seriousness, how likely is the average person to be a victim of a carjacking in their lifetime? Obviously this depends on where you live, but I'm pretty sure if you're not cruising in South Central LA or Johannesburg that your chances of suffering such an attack are tiny. Add to that taking preventative measures and I don't see why you'd bother trying to train a defense while seated.

and where do you live??? not even 15 miles from where I live there is a car jacking at least 2 or 3 times a month maybe more. that is enough times for me to train while seated.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

and where do you live??? not even 15 miles from where I live there is a car jacking at least 2 or 3 times a month maybe more. that is enough times for me to train while seated.

I'm currently in Beijing, previously lived in central London and North Wales. Where do you live? Rio de Janeiro?

and I don't care if I live in a place where car jackings almost never happen. people take vacations, business trips etc.. I'm not gonna be a shut in my whole life.

You don't need to be a shut-in when the vast majority of places you could go on vacation or a business trip are not prime carjacking territory.

and I don't care if I live in a place where car jackings almost never happen. people take vacations, business trips etc.. I'm not gonna be a shut in my whole life.

You don't need to be a shut-in when the vast majority of places you could go on vacation or a business trip are not prime carjacking territory.

and that constitutes not to train while seated??

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard