• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meditation for Combat Effectiveness?

Yes I think if you can fight with "No Mind" you will be more effective. I was watching Olympic Divers, Pole Vaulters,....etc. They all seem to be able to reach "No Mind" through their training and they definitely use it to perform in front of thousands of people. I think the better you can empty your mind of clutter, the better off you will be in all aspects of your life.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think if you can fight with "No Mind" you will be more effective. . . .

It's funny, but if I'm doing a self-defense technique and "think" what the next step is, I'm not doing it as a learned reflex, and so I'm performing more slowly, even awkwardly. Sometimes I wonder if "No Mind" is being in a state of "instant thought-reflex action."

I was watching Olympic Divers, Pole Vaulters,....etc. They all seem to be able to reach "No Mind" through their training and they definitely use it to perform in front of thousands of people. . . .

It's amazing how they are able to do this. The focus; the self-discipline of focus; as though there is only the dive, only the bar overhead. This is the mark of a champion.

I think the better you can empty your mind of clutter, the better off you will be in all aspects of your life.

Agreed!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 weeks later...

Kyokushin karateka in the past used to train a lot of Ikken, a form of standing meditation. I got a bit of instruction from one of my senseis who has since left our dojo about Ikken and even joined him once at the local park for an hour of it.

His reasons weren't for chi cultivation or developing psychokinesis or any of the other "chi abilities." He found it was very useful for posture, balance, breathing, and being centered on your hara (I think it's called dantien in the Chinese arts). More of a physical benefit than a mental, though it was relaxing. He practiced it 30 minutes a day, every day, and though it was not part of his entire regimen he was still incredibly powerful, fast, and relaxed in kumite.

Kyokushin karateka in the past used to train a lot of Ikken, a form of standing meditation. I got a bit of instruction from one of my senseis who has since left our dojo about Ikken and even joined him once at the local park for an hour of it.

I'm sorry, Kuma, but I can't find Ikken as meditation on the Web. I keep coming up with it as "Ikken Hissatsu: To kill with one blow," which may mean it's part of an overall karate system.

How did you perform this standing meditation? I remember being introduced to a form of standing meditation when doing Taiji in that I was to stand as though "embracing" a tree. (I'm not kidding; it's the way it was explained to me.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'm sorry, Kuma, but I can't find Ikken as meditation on the Web. I keep coming up with it as "Ikken Hissatsu: To kill with one blow," which may mean it's part of an overall karate system.

How did you perform this standing meditation? I remember being introduced to a form of standing meditation when doing Taiji in that I was to stand as though "embracing" a tree. (I'm not kidding; it's the way it was explained to me.)

Here is a good link: http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu/fukushima06.htm

I imagine the same posture you're thinking of is the one you see the instructor Sensei Sun Lee using. From what was explained to me, Ikkenand Taji share a lot of similarities.

Here is a good link: http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu/fukushima06.htm

I imagine the same posture you're thinking of is the one you see the instructor Sensei Sun Lee using. From what was explained to me, Ikkenand Taji share a lot of similarities.

Yes! The two photos at the bottom of the page, of Sensei alone and then the class as a whole, are what I was speaking of. I found that one challenge was to keep the traps relaxed, to allow the neck and shoulders to relax. Another was not to "overrelax," so that the "embracing arms" begin to come together, and your hands wind up touching.

So much of it is posture and controlled breathing that your mind doesn't have the opportunity to drift, or that, as can happen in a seated position, you begin to slump over as you want to go to sleep! :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Admittedly I've gotten out of practicing it but I'm working on trying to add it back into my routine. I used to try to do seated meditation in the morning, but after one instance I actually fell asleep while meditating and was almost late for work :P

Since then I've been trying Ikken in the mornings after my Sanchin kata and it's been pretty invigorating.

So much of it is posture and controlled breathing that your mind doesn't have the opportunity to drift, or that, as can happen in a seated position, you begin to slump over as you want to go to sleep! :)

This is my deal; if you want to relax, then why not just go to sleep?! :P

I prefer to fight in a state of "Wu Hsin", and often use basic meditation as part of my training.

Also, sparring, form practice, drills, conditioning and all of my Parkour practice become a form of meditation.

Meditation through movement can be very difficult to achieve for some people in my experience, but is highly useful and effective.

Peace.

"We follow the World,

The World follows Heaven,

Heaven follows Tao,

Tao follows the way things are."

Meditation through movement can be very difficult to achieve for some people in my experience, but is highly useful and effective.

Would you say that forms lend themselves the best to "meditation through movement"? You mentioned sparring in your posting, but I think someone who practices sitting or standing meditation could transition to movement more smoothly through something more focused.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu