• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meditation for Combat Effectiveness?

The Samurai of Japan cultivated their combat effectiveness to a very high degree. Meditation was among one of their practices. The "tea ceremony" meditation was a kind of way to escape from the world, sort of like how we Americans will go out to the movies for a while to escape from reality for a while. During the tea ceremony, you were only allowed to talk about how good the tea tasted and think the most serene and tranquil of thoughts. Other types of meditation cultivated the mind of "mushin" or 'emptiness' that is experienced by certain swordsmen before they have the inspiration to mkae a killing and life saving stroke with the sword. Today, various types of meditation exist, from progressive relaxation to classical Zen Buddhist meditation. Does the forum feel that these practices still have value for martial artists who are getting ready for combat survival, or is this a relic of the past? How many of you meditate for personal enrichment or cultivation of Enlightenment? Is the time required for basic meditation worth the effort in the modern busy world? Eastern gurus say that computer programming is a powerful form of deep meditation nowadays, since the concentration required is supreme. Has anybody had experiences with meditation that they could say have helped them as a martial artist?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that meditation can help anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they're in MAs or not. now i certainly don't believe that meditation will save the world, or believe it will keep anyone from hitting me, but i do believe it brings a greater focus and helps center your 'oneness'. i myself do very basic meditation, just when necessary, and with this busy, technological, not enough time in the day world it truly does help, and i certainly need it with my schedule.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I have tried... I just practice so much that I want everything to be hard-wired in my brain and muscle memory.. the meditation thing doesnt work that well for me.. I do it to some degree but still, not much success..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

i think that meditation can help anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they're in MAs or not. now i certainly don't believe that meditation will save the world, or believe it will keep anyone from hitting me, but i do believe it brings a greater focus and helps center your 'oneness'. i myself do very basic meditation, just when necessary, and with this busy, technological, not enough time in the day world it truly does help, and i certainly need it with my schedule.

Yes i agree with that statement

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

The "tea ceremony" was about showing the ultimate respect for another person.....that in itself requires that you "empty yourself". This idea is paramount in developing the selflessness needed to become a warrior-even a "modern warrior". The challenge today is teaching our students to take the time needed to cultivate this in themselves, especially in a society that seems to be motivated by selfishness and instant gratification.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I don't think that meditation needs to be a part of the complete Martial package. I think that it is a good thing, but I don't think that it is my thing.

mmmhhh thats your opinion , but mine is that you need to train your mind just as much as your body.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

oh I almost forgot.. your subject on this post says Meditation for combat effectiveness.. a form of self-hypnosis may help better than meditation.. I just practice and have faith in my skill and it has worked for me..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yes you can but meditaton in my opinion is the superior alternative.