• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I got into a fight a work this morning...

Throwdown0850

I believe I agree with what's being said here.... I am interested to hear though what the hospital authorities and the police (assuming they became involved) have to say about it. As I understand these things, it's unfortunately all too often the "winner" that is treated suspiciously in these situations.

I wonder what kind of things would the law consider here? Would it be relevant if the guy was so drunk and/or injured that it was unreasonable to expect he could do any damage? Do you have to be able to prove that you were in significant danger of injury? Does "reasonable force" come into play in a self defense situation like this?

there was a cop with us trying to calm the guy down and he tried to restrain him when he was attacking everybody and came at me... he knew is was self-defense..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I agree with what's being said here.... I am interested to hear though what the hospital authorities and the police (assuming they became involved) have to say about it. As I understand these things, it's unfortunately all too often the "winner" that is treated suspiciously in these situations.

I wonder what kind of things would the law consider here? Would it be relevant if the guy was so drunk and/or injured that it was unreasonable to expect he could do any damage? Do you have to be able to prove that you were in significant danger of injury? Does "reasonable force" come into play in a self defense situation like this?

Reasonable force always comes into play. What he also had on his side were witnesses. If everyone gives a written statement as to what had happened, then he would probably be doing ok. If he would have kicked him, and then kicked him again while he was on the ground, then there would most likely be some problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Bushido man, when your mind is trained correctly, you don't pick the best option for the circumstances, your mind does that all by itself.

"You" don't hit......"you" don't kick......"you" don't throw. Instead, "IT" hits all by itself. "IT" kicks all by itself. And if the situation was different, "IT" would have thrown all by itself.

And I also have trained in Judo/JuJitsu, and a kick probably was the BEST thing you could have done in that setting. Remember that when a throw is done for combat it is done differently than when in practice. Had you got him in mid-throw and through him through the air as in combat, you could have hurt someone else in the line of fire, or he could have landed on his neck....

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

I see it that you did the right thing. You didn't pick the fight, you handled a situation. You didn't cause excessive damage, you did what came reflexively.

You didn't fail as a martial artist. You acted to protect yourself from a threat that you didn't know the precise level of. If you had done less you might not have succeeded in keeping him from hurting you and the other people that were there.

What I do have to so is this on your choice of technique. Years of Judo, but the man wasn't at a standing grappling range, you weren't on the floor. The man wasn't within reach of your hands. So, you struck at your longest range, with your strongest weapon. What I want to know is how much striking work did your Judo involve, or where the heck do I sign up for that Kempo class? Because man....a few days and you side kick, and hit well!, reflexively, I'm impressed with that. Your either a natural, and I envy you, or you've got great training, and I still envy you.

Anyway man, good work. Don't be hard on yourself. You did what was needed and think of the damage that could have been meeted out had you not been there or had you hesitated.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I see it that you did the right thing. You didn't pick the fight, you handled a situation. You didn't cause excessive damage, you did what came reflexively.

You didn't fail as a martial artist. You acted to protect yourself from a threat that you didn't know the precise level of. If you had done less you might not have succeeded in keeping him from hurting you and the other people that were there.

What I do have to so is this on your choice of technique. Years of Judo, but the man wasn't at a standing grappling range, you weren't on the floor. The man wasn't within reach of your hands. So, you struck at your longest range, with your strongest weapon. What I want to know is how much striking work did your Judo involve, or where the heck do I sign up for that Kempo class? Because man....a few days and you side kick, and hit well!, reflexively, I'm impressed with that. Your either a natural, and I envy you, or you've got great training, and I still envy you.

Anyway man, good work. Don't be hard on yourself. You did what was needed and think of the damage that could have been meeted out had you not been there or had you hesitated.

my dad did Kyokushin for about 15 years and he taught me as a kid, all the way up till about 18 when I signed up for Judo.. he didnt teach me any of the katas.. just repetition after repetition of kicks and punches and blocks.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

thanks again.. :) but I was still wondering why I reacted that i did, I kicked the guy? Judo was all that I knew for years? I thought I had that programmed in me by now? I have only been in kenpo for a few days.. :)

regardless of your prior training, your natural humanistic instincts took over for you. we are all aware that we have a comfort zone, usually indicated by anything that penetrates the point that an arm out in front of you makes. that being said, once that was penetrated you felt greatly threatened and even if you personally weren't scared, your body did because it's so-called 'comfort zone' was penetrated and penetrated quickly. so your first instinct was to get him out and get him out quick and the most effective way to distance him and yourself was to launch your longest body part, your leg. no worries you were right in everything you did, and your body completely took over on because of how quick the attack was, your side kick was a very natural thing to do.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

my dad did Kyokushin for about 15 years and he taught me as a kid, all the way up till about 18 when I signed up for Judo.. he didnt teach me any of the katas.. just repetition after repetition of kicks and punches and blocks.. :)

Perhaps this explains the tendency to kick like you did. After 15 years of this, I would say that this would be the more likely response, especially if you have not done Judo for this long.

Perhaps this explains the tendency to kick like you did. After 15 years of this, I would say that this would be the more likely response, especially if you have not done Judo for this long.

yeah thats true.. we have been doing a lots of kicks in self defense situations and they seem to work better than the hands at times..

Kicks are good, just need to make sure you don't kick above where your balance/speed will allow.

What kind of Kenpo do you study ThrowDown?

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker