• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aerobic Karate Drill Training

Johnlogic121

I'm thinking of expanding my workout routines into something that emphasizes cardiovascular training a bit more. I have read that the first research into Aerobic exercise came out of the 1950s when the U.S. Air Force tried to learn how to expand cardiovascular fitness for air force pilots who tended to black out during high gravity manuevers. Black Belt magazine featured a style called "Protectorcize" in one of its articles. Protectorcize was based on the idea that you can have a martial arts workout based on about ten karate drills, and by repeating the movements thousands of times, you build up basic defensive skills while getting the aerobic training benefit. Taebo is a modern program that utilizes the same concept, but I have heard that some of the high kicks in Taebo can give chronic repetitive motion injuries if you get so tired during the exercise that you do those high kicks with poor form or bad hip placement or foot pivting. Also, Cardio Kickboxing has emerged as a sport and exercise regimen that incorporates kickboxing routines into an aerobic workout. Does anybody have any good ideas for simple drills that can be done for Aerobic Karate Drill Training?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you just want the aerobic benefits, then a cardio-kickboxing class would be the way to go. If you want something that is more related to self-defense, then high impact sparring would be the route to take. It is hard to get both into the same workout, I think, because you end up sacrificing something when you get tired.

maybe I am out of shape but I have gotten pretty out of breath from doing a bunch of kata in a row without stopping.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php

maybe I am out of shape but I have gotten pretty out of breath from doing a bunch of kata in a row without stopping.
Hey, me too. I get out of breath doing basics in class. Don't feel bad...

Oneword burpees. They are a total body work out as well as cardio. If you have not heard of them (some people call them prision burpees) you start off standing attention go down into push up position, do a push up than spring back to feet and jump up in the air as you spring up. (continue doing that), and challenge yourself see how many you can do in 2min. and then see how many you can do 5min. and then if you want to make it harder after a while add a turn.

A couple months ago I decided Ive been needing more cardio and less weight training. My stamina was suffering a little. I opted to get a speed bag and heavy bag which can be darn good cardio, at least for me. Ive fallen in love with the speed bag and sometimes loose track of time, alot of fun. Ive found that this has been the single most effective thing Ive done to increase my punching speed and I can tell its helping my timing alot also. Add in some heavy bag kicking/punching techniques and Im exhausted. Definanitly not just for boxers :D .

You can use many exercises to attain an aerobic effect. But first, you need to understand exactly what aerobics do. They enhance your cardiovascular health. Cardiovascular health is the ability to breathe in Oxygen, Transport it throughout your body, and utilize it. This means that it will enhance the capacity of your lungs (breathing), your heart (transport), and your musclular endurance (utilize oxygen).

In order to attain an aerobic training effect you need to increase your heart rate to between 65 and 85 percent of your maximum heartrate (220 - your age). Then you need to keep it there for between 20 and 45 minutes.

Certainly, you can do this with martial arts techniques. I suggest picking between 5 and 6 drills. Then learn to lace them together with good footwork. Most important is that it's fun for you to do. If you find it monotonous or mundane, you aren't likely to stick to it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

A couple months ago I decided Ive been needing more cardio and less weight training. My stamina was suffering a little. I opted to get a speed bag and heavy bag which can be darn good cardio, at least for me. Ive fallen in love with the speed bag and sometimes loose track of time, alot of fun. Ive found that this has been the single most effective thing Ive done to increase my punching speed and I can tell its helping my timing alot also. Add in some heavy bag kicking/punching techniques and Im exhausted. Definanitly not just for boxers :D .

I love the speed bag! I used to work on one all of the time when I lived with my folks. No more, I fear.

You should get another :wink: . One thing I have noticed is that Im using muscles, or rather, working deep tendons that I havent worked quite like the bag produces. I think its from holding your shoulders high and many more strikes than you would sparing or just working techniques. I sometimes over do it without thinking, then I have to focus on recouping. Seems to be one of my bad habits :roll: