• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WWF Wrestlers

I'm still wondering just how hard the WWE superstar is going to hit when it's for real. Will he/she hit as hard as they can or will the ring habits cause him/her to throw a working punch? Brock proved to be an exception.

Just wondering!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a real hard decision,

Wrestlers are defiantly in great shape, but that doesn't mean they are used to full on confrontations, big muscles doesn't mean you take punches better, whereas martial artists are (generally) trained in combat and rhythm.

Some wrestlers are amazing, kurt angle (olympic gold medalist and mastered amateur wrestling)

Brock Lesner went into UFC and MMA, where he dominated.

Ken Shamrok, himself and his brother went into MMA.

Bobby Lashley, he joined MMA too.

In my opinion, a smart martial artist would defeat a wrestler due to more experience in combat,

no muscle amount can outweigh the value of experience.

Forgetting the David and Goliath story? :)

"I do not need to hear praise,

I do not need to see you clap,

I need to feel my heart beat..

I need to break through my limit, again."

David used a projectile weapon to hit a larger than normal target. Never understood how that was somehow more impressive.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Wrestlers are defiantly in great shape, but that doesn't mean they are used to full on confrontations, big muscles doesn't mean you take punches better, whereas martial artists are (generally) trained in combat and rhythm.

Most of these guys can punch and kick as hard as they can, and have enough control to make sure that when the strike lands, it isn't damaging. If they decide to not slow down, the opportunity for them to cause damage is great.

The have amazing timing, agility, and speed - and a brain that has been taught to operate in a way that understands human movement, anatomy, and ring presence. They know how fast to move to close distances, and they understand angles of attack. All of this makes them pretty good at moving around and understanding the "battlefield".

Those "fake" punches, kicks, chairs to the head, and "bumps" aren't always as smooth and "fake" as they'd like. They get punched in the face by accident and under less accidental circumstances. The land wrong after falling from high places, and all sort of other nasty things. They do this night after night - some of them 300 nights a year or more...they're tough.

My recommendation? Get in a fight with a professional ping-pong player instead.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

In his book "Kill As Catch Can" on using freestyle wrestling for street fighting, Ned Beaumont mentions a few incidents of pro wrestlers fighting with police officers. All I can say is you definitely do not want to underestimate them. They are strong, tough, well conditioned, and can adapt what they know to really injure you. Hulk Hogan choking out Richard Belzer on TV is a good example of that.

In his book "Kill As Catch Can" on using freestyle wrestling for street fighting, Ned Beaumont mentions a few incidents of pro wrestlers fighting with police officers. All I can say is you definitely do not want to underestimate them. They are strong, tough, well conditioned, and can adapt what they know to really injure you. Hulk Hogan choking out Richard Belzer on TV is a good example of that.

Imho, that choke out wasn't real...it too was a working choke out!!

Some wrestlers are amazing, kurt angle (olympic gold medalist and mastered amateur wrestling)

In my opinion, a smart martial artist would defeat a wrestler due to more experience in combat,

Ken Shamrock joined the WWF/E way after he had already established himself in the MMA world.

Imho, that choke out wasn't real...it too was a working choke out!!

I actually remembered when that happened (showing my age here). It was a big deal at the time and I think he eventually got a big settlement out of the Hulkster for it.

Ken Shamrock joined the WWF/E way after he had already established himself in the MMA world.

Ken Shamrock established himself in the MMA world after establishing himself in Pancrase, which was after he's been a professional wrestler on the Georgia/South East regional circuit.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Actually, studies have shown that muscles help to insulate the body better from damage. So, having big muscles helps with being "tough." That's probably a big part of why most of the professional fighters out there are well muscled guys.

I beg to differ on this as well. Being bigger and stronger than your opponent is a significant attribute in fighting and self-defense; that's why they created weight classes in professional combat sports. Its also the reason why in justifying a use of force, the size of the attacker can be brought into play in order to justify a higher degree of force in escaping an attack.

I'm not saying you are wrong in that experience isn't valuable; it very much is. What I am saying is that you can't discount someone's size and strength as an advantage to them, either.

You should also never assume that your attacker doesn't know anything about fighting. Underestimating your enemy is a good way to get thumped, too.