• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon Do a beaten down Martial Art?

I think that most people who don't take TKD and think that is is not good for self defence must have seen the local Mc Dojo or be in it. I must admit though, that if all you train for is point sparring then that's all you will know and if you haven't mastered your own art then it's very easy to misjudge others due to sheer ignorance!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're using the term "everyone" rather loosely.

While TKD is considered a sport by a lot of Eastern styles, I think it's pretty good for self-defense. Again, the McDojo thing comes into play here.

Also, don't confuse caution for lack of self-confidence. I feel that if it came right down to it, I could defend myself pretty well (except for knife or gun defenses, I'm not too familiar with those yet, we just started learning that)

However, if I could avoid the situation, I would. If someone wants my purse, they can have it! Self-defense is a last resort, because you never know if they've got a knife hidden somewhere.

Anyway that's my view :wave:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

First and foremost TKD is a modern Korean martial art .... it only later evolved into a sport. The underlying purpose of TKD is combat. TKD may be practiced as a pure sport, as a pure fighting art, or as a combination of both.

You speak of caution and using your abilities as a last resort?

"Karate ni Sen te Nashi" is a favorite saying of the great Karate Master Gichin Funakoshi, the "father" of modern Karate.. It means "In Karate there is no first hand." TKD is based on the same principle. TKD is a defensive art. The TKD practitioner does not attack unless being attacked. If an attacker does not pose a threat, then you do not attack, and, once a threat is neutralized, the attack stops.

You see, self-defense is an important benefit of TKD (not just pretty good for self defense). Self-defense is not just using defenses and counter attacks against attackers. It is the ability to prevent injury to oneself or others from attackers. This includes learning to fall safely, to communicate with aggressors, and to escape from violent situations. And just as you posted monkeygirl, self-defense is not just concerned with physically dealing with violence, it is mostly concerned with avoiding becoming a victim of violence.

Oh and BTW Eye of the Tiger .... I edited your post to correct the spelling of "Tai Kwon do" .... hope you don't mind

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-13 12:46 ]

I imagine that was why they asked a question rather than simply accusing the art of being pointless for self defense 360, so that they could become better informed.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Although I do not train in TKD, I can say that I did as a teenager. And as far as TKD or any other Martial Arts go, self defense/fighting comes down to the individual and not the system itself. In my opinion, one of the best self defense methods is to use your brain, being aware, looking ahead rather than the ground when you walk, sticking out in the crowd, etc.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I have a slightly different perspective. I have done traditional Japanee Karate (Shotokan and ****o-ryu) for most of my 21 yrs in martial arts, but have doen TKD for the last three (I'ma full time student at university, and the club is free!). Our club is affiliated with the WTF, but we do "traditional" TKD (i.e.: Self defense oriented.). We do hand techniques to the face, etc...

We have had problems with students from other, outside dojo who come in and wishg to train and are uncomfortable with the lack of flash and emphasis on proper technique and self defense applications.

In short, TKD is a martial art.

Robert.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!