• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon Do a beaten down Martial Art?

I was just wandering what you people think about Tai Kwon Do as a Martial Art. I mean a lot of people in this forum that do Tai Kwon Do dont seem confident as a good self defence for instance and said that they would not be confident using against someone in self defence. They all say its just a sport. I disbeleive this. What do you think about Tai Kwon Do as a Martial Art.

Kickboxer and Wado ryu Karate SAMA Organisation

Former black belt ECKA Karate

From England

14 years old

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-13 12:43 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take TaeKwanDo and i think its a good selfdefense. I don't know who thinks its not good but i think it is. Most martial arts are good self defense. A lot of my friends take it and think is also a good self defense.

:bawling:

:argue:

The mind is more powerful than the fist!

I think this question must be asked about once every two weeks, or so.

The competition type is not all that effective. However, the "true" TKD is very effective.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

My school does both (sport and art). But yea, I think it's effective. But that also depends on the student too. If you bust your a$$ in training and learn everything about everything, you can learn to defend yourself. But if you half-a$$ it, of course it wouldn't be effective.

Laurie F

I practice both the W.T.F and I.T.F style of TAe kwon do. I can say the I.T.F is a martial art, but i wonder if the W.T.F is really a martial art. The W.T.F seems more like a sport to me. I believe the W.T.F is quite limited. Spectacular moves with the feet are wanted, therefore "rules" have been made so that punches are not used as often. When you're on the street, you have to incorporate punches! I find the W.T.F has promoted it more as a competitive sport, rather than promoting it more as a self-defense system.

in the W.T.F, it's true that you can learn coordination, speed, power, timing, and distance which is important for a fight; however, self-defense is only restricted with using kicks. I wonder if the hwa rang warriors only used kicks while trying to unite the 3 kingdoms or korea. I highly doubt it! I'm sure they used punches!

On the otherhand, the I.T.F system is more of a self-defense system. PUnches are encouraged in the I.T.F and you learn joint-lock techniques. Therefore in my view, W.T.F is a martial sport, and the I.T.F a martial art.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-06-12 12:47 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Not again!

I agree with koreantiger81 ... You must decipher which style ITF/WTF you are referring to.

Sport TKD (WTF) stresses that the purpose of performing a technique properly is so you may score more points than your opponent in competition. To win. Therefore, it is possible to achieve this purpose during sparring. Sport TKD gives value to the factors of power, accuracy, and strategy, and gives higher value to the use of more difficult techniques. It stresses that to execute a proper technique, you must have a resisting opponent. Because of the rules of sport sparring, it is possible to predict the actions of your opponent and to technically and psychologically manipulate and dominate your opponent.

Traditional TKD (ITF) stresses that the purpose of performing a technique properly is so it may be used to strike with enough force to disable or possibly kill an opponent ... the philosophy of "one strike, one kill." This is why traditionalists say they cannot use their techniques in contact competition, because they cannot achieve this purpose during sparring. Instead, breaking is used to test the "lethality" of their techniques.

I think all of us TKD stylists are getting pretty tired of being told that we cannot defend ourselves. I would like someone to come up to me and tell me that one face to face!!

.... waiting for taezee to respond now! :kaioken:

amen to that deby!! :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

amen to that deby!! :up:

Javier l Rosario

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

did i mention amen to that deby?? what a tired worn out recycled over rendundant topic.. :roll: it is definetly not that taekwondo is beaten down but the question itself!!

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2002-06-12 17:48 ]

Javier l Rosario

Ok, I have to jump in here (again). I do WTF TKD. We learn self defense. Not ALL WTF schools are sport (we do both for those who want it). Most "sport" WTF schools "ignore" the self defense part, but not all. Some just don't bother to teach it. But there IS self defense within the WTF. We learn joint locks, throws, ect ect. I'm defenitely not defending the "sport WTF" schools, because I don't agree with the way they teach (or ingnore the "art" part), but not all WTF schools are pure sport. Ok, now I'll get off my soap box.

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-12 18:42 ]

Laurie F