• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pros and Cons of Choking Attacks

Is it risky to have so many resources committed to one attack, sure. But probibly not more risky that trying to slug it out with mulitple attackers. It's a major postion of disadvantage you're in already.

At least with one guy in a properly applied choke, that is one that is going to be out of the fight soon. bushido man is correct, if the chokes on right from standing, his balace is broken and you can move him around. This is gonna let you hunker in behind him as a body shield. Again, keep him close to mimimize his weight's drain on your strength and try to make him take those shots aimed at you.

Is it less than ideal, sure, but we're already far past best case here. Plus, if you choke this dude to unconciousness, maybe his buddies will think twice about pushing the fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

off balancing a person does make them easier to move, yes. but at this point if they're as off balance as youre saying, you are holding them up. im not tying myself up with anyone's body weight, nor do i plan on slugging it out with multiple guys, thinking logically is best as people multiply.

here's how it is...if you want to choke, choke...it doesnt matter there's pros and cons to everything, it's even the title of this topic, so this is what im doing, listing the pros and cons, do either of them outweight each other? no, not enough to determine a 'winner'. is it the right way to go about multiples? maybe(i'd like to see that tested :)) is it the best? no.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Pros: Easy to apply after being trained, renders the opponent unconscious, little damage and no bloodshed.

Cons: Hands/arms are tied up, difficult to do in a multiple attacker situation, takes 5 to 10 seconds depending on how well the choke is applied.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

off balancing a person does make them easier to move, yes. but at this point if they're as off balance as youre saying, you are holding them up. im not tying myself up with anyone's body weight, nor do i plan on slugging it out with multiple guys, thinking logically is best as people multiply.

This is the case. However, after you feel the body go limp, and he is asleep, you just drop him and deal with the next threat. If you are good enough to keep him restrained, but not unconscious, then you can back away, shielding yourself with the opponent. If they seem like they are going to overtake you, put the guy out and drop him, and then get away.

i certainly hope one would drop someone they were choking after they were out! its the time that the choke MAY or MAY NOT take is the risk. backing away is one idea but a basic concept for any karate-ka is to not back up, so for me, that wouldnt be an option, UNLESS i was entirely sure of what was behind me and i wasn't moving into a smaller area for the however many people there are to pummel me. i wish 'putting out' was as easy as chuck norris makes it seem...but we can only dream. :wink:

I would drop them in a heartbeat. Especially if I have other threats to worry about. As far as backing up goes, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, if you are keeping your surroundings in mind.

Yes, that is IF you are keeping your surroundings in mind in a quick pressure, high stress situation. Many elements come into play. It all depends on what kind of choke you do, what size the person is, their tolerance, etc. Everyone's drop time is going to be different, and most likely not a heart beat. I'll have to check on it but i think the average choke time was between 8 and 12 seconds, again, not too sure on that i'll have to double check. I personally have been put in a real life, no mercy, choke hold before and in the process of getting out and destroying the guy i was strangulated for about six seconds and was fine. not droopy, didn't need to sit down. so bottom line of this, as it has always been...you just gotta be careful. nothing, absolutely nothing is proven.

Yes, that is IF you are keeping your surroundings in mind in a quick pressure, high stress situation. Many elements come into play. It all depends on what kind of choke you do, what size the person is, their tolerance, etc. so bottom line of this, as it has always been...you just gotta be careful. nothing, absolutely nothing is proven.

Yes, good points all the way around. These points will apply to any technique that you have to apply on the street. Not just chokes.

Of course! We'd all be genuises and masters if the streets weren't the streets. It's as diverse and as dangerous as they come. You just never know.