• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High Kick Leg Takedowns

Suppose you go to kick someone in the head, perhaps with a roundhouse kick or perhaps with a front kick, and they evade your attack in such a manner that hey catch your leg high in the air while you are fully extending the leg. Does anybody have a counter technique to this type of takedown? I can describe the specifc takedowns to specific high kicks in greater detail if necessary. My impression is that such takedowns can be very dangerous to the kicker, and I'm wondering if anybody has a remedy for kickers who would otherwise have to take a solid fall from such a takedown. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

as long as you know how to fall you should be fine.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

If my leg is up that high, and has been caught, I am going to try to pull it back, and go to the ground before being tossed or having my leg broken.

If you are athletic enough, you could jump off the base leg to try and swing your body up and around, or something desperate like that. Otherwise, you are in a bad spot.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, its a really bad spot, I wouldnt really be worried about being thrown back to the ground.. it would be the pounding I would get while he has a hold of my leg...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

What you usually have to do is try to pull your leg back, bringing you and the other fighter together. At that point, clinching up and attacking with your arms would be a good way to start regaining your lost leg. If you stay way outside, with your leg straighter, then I think it puts you in bigger peril, and leaves the opponent holding your leg with more options to attack than you have to defend.

One might try a circle throw*... he'll let go as his face heads towards the floor.

*Circle throw (tomoe nage): Sit down (as fas as is possible with your leg in the air) and grab his collars/neck/shoulders. As his momentum throws him forward plant your other foot in his chest and chuck him over your head.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

tomoe nage is difficult to perform in that particular position. The best way to get around that would be to kick an attacker in the head once you've made his head your belt level. There is no real reason to kick someone in the head if you can cripple them with a leg kick or a hard body shot. Head kicks look nice, and they can be devastating, but they are also extremely risky. Once the leg is caught, if your opponent knows what to do with it, you're at his mercy. If he doesn't you lucked out, and can try one of the above mentioned ways to escape.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War