• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is Tomiki-Ryu

I saw flyers up stating that there is a new dojo opening up and the style is called Tomiki-Ryu? could you guys tell me a little info on it? or your opinion?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw flyers up stating that there is a new dojo opening up and the style is called Tomiki-Ryu? could you guys tell me a little info on it? or your opinion?

If its the Tomiki-Ryu that is practiced globally, it's Aikido.

Or more correctly "Sport Aikido" although that's a contradiction in terms.

I believe that Tomiki was a student of Ueshiba, and later Judo's Kano sensei's.

"Tomiki Ryu" is his creation which was to try to make Aikido more competitive and therefore appeal to a wider audience.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Many years ago I saw a film that belonged to the Kodokan. It showed a young Tomiki doing free fight with several old timers at the Kodokan. It seems that in WW II Tomiki learned an art in China that you might call a "cousin" of Aiki. He stood with one hand in his obi and one hand extended in tegatana. As these oldtimers moved on him, he used only the tegatana hand and arm to throw them to the floor. In a couple of the shots he pinned the opponent also using the one arm.

How much of what was in the film became part of Tomiki Ryu Aiki I don't know. What was in the film was not Aikido as done today. This film preceded Uyeshiba going public to my knowledge.

If you ever meet the world head of Tomiki ask him about this old film.

It's one of the more open aikido styles that are more likely to do resistance training. Check it out and let us know how it goes. It can't hurt to look :)

Do they have a site?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

okay talked to instructor last night, it sounds really cool, I told him about my background on Kodokan and he said I would really like Tomiki Ryu, he said it is also called "Shodokan Aikido". the fees are reasonable.. he told me that if I help him pass out flyers and help promote the dojo,he would cut the price down :D he said there isnt a website yet, and that there is going to have one up in the next few weeks. :) yeah, I was rather surprised when he told me that there is competition in Tomiki Ryu. he said it is Aikido that is rationalized with Kodokan, to help it be taught easier and be more practical..

oh yeah, my instructor was happy that I am going to be taking a different style too. Just as long as it didnt take any of the time at his Dojo. :wink:

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Im pritty sure its a branch off an other style.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

okay talked to instructor last night, it sounds really cool, I told him about my background on Kodokan and he said I would really like Tomiki Ryu, he said it is also called "Shodokan Aikido". the fees are reasonable.. he told me that if I help him pass out flyers and help promote the dojo,he would cut the price down :D he said there isnt a website yet, and that there is going to have one up in the next few weeks. :) yeah, I was rather surprised when he told me that there is competition in Tomiki Ryu. he said it is Aikido that is rationalized with Kodokan, to help it be taught easier and be more practical..

oh yeah, my instructor was happy that I am going to be taking a different style too. Just as long as it didnt take any of the time at his Dojo. :wink:

Let us know what the classes are like, and how they compare to what you have done in the past. It sounds interesting.

we are going over the 5 basic conrols, but with a more realistic approach, more like a small circle aikido?? I like it so far.. the throws look awesome.. and they spar!? it was amazing! like a lot of people in the world, I was skeptical that Aikido wasn't exactly street effective.. I have studied AikiJujutsu before it is kinda like this, there is judo throws in it too.. so far so good :D I just cant get over the fact that there is Tournaments in Aikido..