• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sensei8 wrote:

Imho, it would depend on one's faith.

Absolutely! But even so, aside from the "hereafter", what I'm really afraid of is pain. I just hope it doesn't hurt too much. :bawling: But then I'm just a big baby.

Another thing I have been thinking about this... we get a lot of practice w/dying every day, to one extent or another. I mean in the sense of losing face, losing possessions, losing previous capabilities, disappointments, death, divorce, or estrangement from loved ones. So it's kind of like "building up your muscles" for the big one.

For me, it isn't so much a fear of death as what happens to those who are precious to me, still alive.

My children are special needs, autistic spectrum. They are only nine years old and need as much support as possible. They really need me to advocate for them and my age is almost 59. I need my health as well as my life, if only for them. My parents are in their 80s. I can think of different times since they've turned seventy that I've brought one or the other to the hospital, and had to discuss their medical condition with doctors.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Wow Joe! Your story adds a much needed perspective to this type of a discussion.

I don't have a lot of family and the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am so I rarely consider those that will be left behind when I ...go. The reality for me is that I'm not going to discover the cure for cancer or make some other significant contribution to society. As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

. . . the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am . . . As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

It was brought up a few times in the movie Troy that Achilles would have his name remembered. Being immortalized is being kept alive in the minds of others, and it may be for reasons good or bad.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

. . . the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am . . . As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

It was brought up a few times in the movie Troy that Achilles would have his name remembered. Being immortalized is being kept alive in the minds of others, and it may be for reasons good or bad.

And this one

'The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering'.

B.Lee

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.