• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conquering your fear of death

BillKephart

Once I die; I won't think about death any more!

:)

Having reached my 50's, I do think about it [death] from time to time, not often, but, often enough to know that I don't like to think about it; it's depressing, the finality of it all and that. Ok...that's enough for me!

Hey, at least I'm not reading the obits to see if I'm listed!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 5 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human instincts has been 1 of 2 aspects with fear and that is fight or flight. Human fear is a natural reaction. It is what a person does through repetitive training that helps when the person begins to experience fear. When the mind cannot compute any longer because the fear has gripped the body we tend to call that person a coward however when the person can control the fear and still think, or act as he has been trained then we tend to call that person brave or courageous.

So many people state that they would act in a certain manner when fear was present. However more often then not when the chips are down they turn tail more so when they are by themselves. Yet when with a group of people, you stand and fight not because of you but for the man next to you. So your able to selflessly put yourself into harms way for your fellow man you call friend.

JMO and Merry Christmas everyone.

Preacher

The difference between school and life is simple

In school your taught a lesson

that prepares you for a test

In life your given a test

that teaches you a lesson

• 11 months later...

I understand everyones replys because i am open minded. But no matter what anyone says, there is and always will be fear of the unknown.

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

Our fears are exaggerated by pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, t.v.,etc. There are many cultures that view death differently than we do in the U.S.

I wouldn't suggest that because the energy that makes your heart beat never dissipate and moves on to others things is suggestive of a god being responsible for it. And it's our idea of god that says he/she is just. There are many things that happen on this planet that more than suggest otherwise. Just so we are being politically correct. It seems many belief systems could be dragged into this. There are many cultures that believe there is no shame in getting sick and dying. But in the U.S. we are bombarded with advertisements for any little ailment. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe we are the only country that drugs are advertised on t.v. Almost half the commercials I see in one slot are for some type of drug. Playing off of our fears.

Im still reasonably young so I tend not to think about it much. But when the time comes I will do my best not to be worried. I don't believe in something after we die. Therefore as far as my thinking goes I won't know im dead. So for me there isn't anything to fear.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

For me death is about the end.... not the beginning. I wish I was able to accept some of the thoughts, ideas and assumptions that most believe about "x" after death. I pass no judgments on people that believe "x" I'm just not wired to be able to accept something on faith. I have too many questions about why certain people in certain geographic locations believe totally different things and each different group believes without uncertainly that their "choice" is the correct one and the rest are dammed. My confusion is increased by the fact that the time period one is born in also seems to dictate what one believes. Being born in India introduces you to a different "x" than one born in China, US, etc. Being born in 100 AD verses 2010 also presents different ideas of "x".

With that being said, I think the prospect of death makes me sad. Sad for the life experiences that I will no longer be able to experience. Things like a warm summer day, just hanging out with my wife talking, etc. I try to stop every once in awhile, take a look around and acknowledge how lucky i am. I'm 38 now, which isn't old but old enough to know that I will not live forever. The day that I know I'll see my last sunset will be sad, sad because I enjoy sunsets.

glockmeister wrote:

Fear is something that keeps us and all things alive. If people who said they had no fear whatsoever of death, chances are they wouldn't be with us today.

I just saw this article about a woman who feels no fear, because of damage to the amygdala area of her brain. It sounds great in some ways, but dangerous as well.

http://www.livescience.com/health/woman-has-no-fear-ptsd-101216.html

Anyway, I am not really afraid of death -- or at least, of being dead -- but I'm afraid of how I'm going to get there. I can think of many unpleasant possibilities, the worst of which would be to spend many years getting sick and decrepid and dying bit by bit. Yuck. I have a fantasy of dying in the middle of a sparring match in class or in a tournament, when I am about 85 or so, just suddenly dropping dead of a heart attack. That would be great, going out doing what I love. Might be tough on the observers, but in the end, much better than languishing in a nursing home for years.

I figure there is either nothing afterwards, in which case why worry, or else a sense of release and peace. I tend to think that heaven and hell are here on earth, and that if consciousness does persist after death, it is a positive and beautiful thing.

I also read somewhere that a fear of death is instinctual, because heaven is so wonderful that we would all just off ourselves so we could be there. Not sure I believe that, especially because animals also have an instinctual fear of death, but it's an interesting idea. Interesting topic as well!

Still Kicking - interesting thought! Most of us will have a moment when we see death coming. Will that moment be frightening or serene?

Imho, it would depend on one's faith.

**Proof is on the floor!!!