• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats, birds, snakes, ants, and mono cellular organisms do not dread their end.

How do you know that?

I agree with Glockmiester. Would they still have fight or flight instincts if they weren't afraid to die?

Exactly, even a fly will take off if you get too close to it so obviously, it has a concept of danger and therefore at least to some degree, a concept of death and/or injury.

Every creature has a sense of self preservation and a natural fear of danger. It is nature's defense mechanism. Without it, there would be no way for the species to continue to survive. So a better statement may be: Mankind is the only species who ever tries to claim LACK of fear of death.

Personally, I believe everyone has some fear of death. If they didn't they wouldn't look both ways before crossing a street, leave a burning building, refrain from activities which could lead to poor health and why they would run from an armed felon.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Are we talking about fear now, or survival instinct? I think that there may be a difference.

What is fear? Other than a natural survival instinct?

Fear is something that keeps us and all things alive. If people who said they had no fear whatsoever of death, chances are they wouldn't be with us today. It is the fear of death and/or bodily injury that makes us look both ways before we cross a street, check our blind spots before we pass on the highway, makes us run from a dangerous situation such as a mugger armed with a knife or a home fire. Call it fear, call it survival instinct, call it whatever you like.

It may be, but since as of yet I haven't been able to ask my dog whether it's one or the other I guess it's up to speculation. :lol:

The next time I run the vacum and he runs upstairs, I'll try and get the answer out of him. "is it fear, or survival instinct?"

J/K :)

• 6 months later...
As humans, we make gains in life; monetary, familial, friendships, etc. Many of us don't want to leave these things behind, and therefore dread death. We don't want to leave our families, or part with our possessions. I think that these are some of the biggest contributors to the fear of death.

Exactly, the other thing is I happen to enjoy life even when it seems to stink. There are lots of thing I want to do and accomplish and things I don't want to miss out on in addition to all the things that Bushido_Man mentioned.

Add that to the list of reasons why people fear death. :bawling:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert