• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can you tell if you are buying imitation gear?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if you can't tell from the look of it, and the legitmacy of the company you're buying from then don't buy it. but don't be concerned with brand names, especially in martial arts, brand names are HIGHLY over-rated. if they look and sound quality, they're probably quality, order em up, and they aren't send em back.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

if you can't tell from the look of it, and the legitmacy of the company you're buying from then don't buy it. but don't be concerned with brand names, especially in martial arts, brand names are HIGHLY over-rated. if they look and sound quality, they're probably quality, order em up, and they aren't send em back.

That is the case with most dipped foam gear (as it's all made the same way) but leather gear can vary a lot. Especially boxing gloves! How much lower is this stuff than other companies who sell the same things?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Well really the only way to know is by the look of it.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

That is the case with most dipped foam gear (as it's all made the same way) but leather gear can vary a lot. Especially boxing gloves! How much lower is this stuff than other companies who sell the same things?

most leather gear, name brand or not is usually not genuine leather! and personally, leather gear is waste of mine, i'll take my foam dipped any day :lol:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

most leather gear, name brand or not is usually not genuine leather! and personally, leather gear is waste of mine, i'll take my foam dipped any day :lol:

I would agree for TSD & TKD, but for Muay Thai, boxing & kickboxing, leather gear is essential. The good stuff is genuine leather. $20 gloves are not.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've used both and I must say the lifespan of leather gear is almost 3x as much as dipped foam. Dipped foam usually just tears after a couple of months whereas the leather doesn't. The foam is easier to clean though..

I always buy my gear off people I know I can trust so I've never hand the authenticity issue. I would imagine though that certain things like width of the straps, any tags or etc. could be a clue to whether the gear is genuine.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 5 weeks later...

How long the equiptment lasts and how it feels.

Aikikenjitsu--Kenpo as the core, with Aikido motion and techniques added with Jujitsu arm moves added. 90% techniques I created using Kenpo as a base.