• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having to choose between TangSooDo/Wing Chun..WHAT TO DO?!

Hey all, It's been quite a while sing my last post, back then I was extremely happy doing tradition shotokan..etc etc.

Now, due to my new career, I have moved to an area were martial arts gyms are few and far between. I've scoured the land, and without having to drive more like more than one hour i've got two options (both of which arent shotokan)

In a nut shell, my old place was cheap, small, with a lot of instructor face time, no bells/whistles, and the workout was insane due to serious training methods. i was there for about 10 months and its been about a year since i left due to moving.

Now I have to make a decision because i neeeed to start training! But i can't decide what I should do, making this decision difficult is stylistically but more importantly each of their aspects.

Tang Soo Do

Pros:

Similar in many aspects to shotokan

i really feel i would get a strong aerobic/anaerobic work out just like in shotokan

good instructor impression

Cons:

Slight McDojo atmosphere ie; many amenities, lots of young kids, with even some in higher level classes, and having to do a 6 MONTH CONTRACT SIGNING....

Wing Chun

Pros:

Small setting; makeshift dojo in a large garage, small single digit class

instructor good impression

interesting real life application...

month to month dues

Cons:

Eventhough the guys sweat, I feel that i would not get a strong workout physically

wing chun very opposite to shotokan and thus i feel that my year of shotokan would actual make me progess SLOWER compared to guy who started fresh w/o doing a karate style....my opinion...

Now I hope you can see my predicament. I seem to fear the unknown (wing chun), as well as fearing my ability to be seriously focused when maybe the setting/atmosphere is less intense (tang soo do)...

When writing this post/novel really I really set myself up for a quick answer that im looking for... but for all of you out there that have had plenty of experience in MA, might be able to give me better/different prespectives on their styles, these characteristics...etc

Any Advice???? :-? THANKS!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your are looking to put more self-defense moves in your arsenal then Wing-Chun is good.. dont know much on Tang Soo Do? but I am sure it would come along really easy for you considering you took shotokan.. nobody can really tell which one is better?? if that is what you are looking for? it really depends what your looking for my man? :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

well i guess i never really stated my goals...and i never asked which was better.

i came into MA for many of the same reasons that most people start: more specifically to 1) relieve stress/gain confidence/self compete, 2) get a strong/tough workout 3)self defense tactics.

Something about Shotokan just hit me...

I was just also blessed with a small class size, seriousness and focus throughout the class, as well as it being cheap since i was a student and it wasn't only means of income for our sensei...etc.

I want our vineyards relocated back to where i can practise what i now realize was an excellent dojo!! :bawling:

Personally, I'd choose Wing-Chun, just because there are lots of good TSD schools around, so it would be less likely a missed opportunity.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

If you prefer the Shotokan, then TSD might be what you want.

However, since you have evaluated each class once, I would go a bit further with each. Try showing up at the school in the middle of a class, when they don't know you are coming, and see if anything appears different.

its been a few days and ive gone to another couple of classes and im starting to feel that TSD is the best choice for my location...

TSD has much more sparring/self defense than my previous shotokan dojo which is quite a positive for me...however i can clearly see that it isnt as strict/old school. (younger kids in adult classes goof off at times (age 12 and up equals adult). Also the forms and techniques of intermediate belts arent as 'perfected' as i would have thought.

Does that mean each individual is responsible for his own work ethic? And that instructors give more time/intruction to those that really show it?

Or is it just that the instructors are more lax and belting happens faster?...hmmm.... i must somehow ask these questions to the sensie w/o sounding arrogant/full of myself...

I have a buddy who has done both and he just told me he definitely thought he got more out of Wing Chun.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php

..odd turn of events.

I was about 90% sure i was going to start my new page of MA with the tang soo do school, but i decided to hit up a kodokan judo/MMA dojo for the heck of it....

I had some prior perceptions of this school because of the 'MMA' factor, but i had a long chat with the sensei who runs both programs. Very good vibe. Very methodical and technical focus.

And then i stayed for the mma class which was very disciplined, technical and all egos were off the mat. -i always assumed (wrongly) it would be some punks getting crazy, bloody and losing control..etc etc. I was very wrong.

So with that said, the grappling is quite opposite to the karate ive focused on, but im intrigued. And the workout is intense and practical applications too boot.

I cant wait to check out the traditional judo class as well....

I never thought my path would take me down a non striking route, but all these different styles is very interesting, and moreso this instructor has by far the best impression.

I think i'll hit up the other training forums to get some advice on these styels

honestly, i think you should try out some classes, see if they'll let you try a week and see if their school is right for you. if can't atleast try some visits like bushido said. personally, iam a black belt in the art of tang soo do, and i enjoy it. it is most definately a work out within self defense, and real applications, etc. i dont have much experience in wing chun, so i'd say hey try that out too. but honestly, to get the feel for it you're looking for you need to try some classes, or just sign up for a month and see what goes down. the good thing about martial arts is, you can do it for a handful of months, figure out its not for you, and go else where! :)

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."