• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would I be out of line to ask this of instructor?

Definately tell the sensei. One bit of advise I would like to give on this though, If you want to be able to disuss your childs progress at all try to get sensei alone. In the office or before/after class without other parents and students around. I am always reluctant to talk openly about student and parent issues right out in the open. Other parents can be very nosey and very chatty. I would also like to thank you for taking such interest in your childs martial arts training, I wish more parents did!

I totally agree. and I also agree that they should trade partners during lessons to avoid problems like that. I know in my dojo, during my sons class they do that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Definately tell the sensei. One bit of advise I would like to give on this though, If you want to be able to disuss your childs progress at all try to get sensei alone. In the office or before/after class without other parents and students around. I am always reluctant to talk openly about student and parent issues right out in the open. Other parents can be very nosey and very chatty. I would also like to thank you for taking such interest in your childs martial arts training, I wish more parents did!

I totally agree. and I also agree that they should trade partners during lessons to avoid problems like that. I know in my dojo, during my sons class they do that.

whiteowl, i absolutely agree. as an instructor of adults and kids, i've learned the fine art of choosing partners for them. over the years i know how are friends, and who aren't, who are trouble students, and who aren't. so i put the partners together myself, intentionally and carefully chosen and on top of it i switch them mid class if i have a problem.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I think that it is important for students to work with as many different partners as they can. I have found that when kids line up with their buddies, it can get a bit too much like play time. I like to pair them with friends, but with different students at times as well. It is also good for them to experience different body types, different target areas, and different ranks in front of them, too.