• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Philosophy of Karate

Now I am not here to state what I think it is. Only to have a healthy debate in which to come to a better understanding of it. So lets start with what yall think.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that each person's philosophy of the art is going to be different. However, many adhere to the principles laid out by Gichin Funakoshi, with ideals like "there is no first strike in Karate" and "Karate is a tool for justice" and the like. I am afraid I can't think of too many more right now.

I think that everyone has a different outlook on martial arts in general. But im sure everyone will agree that it all comes down to respect and selfdefence.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 1 month later...

When you say "philosophy of Karate," I am thinking along the lines of the philosophy that guides me as I train.

My philosophy is to approach as near as possible to MA perfection. What do I consider MA perfection? Attaining what Takuan Soho calls an unfettered mind. This is a mind that, when faced with the prospect of personal combat, does not think but acts. He argues that if we begin to think (for example, considering your opponent's size, or what to do if he attempts to tackle you instead of hit you) our minds go to the abiding place and we begin to lose the advantage in combat. How do you attain this state? I think it is to continually train and, as Miyamoto Musashi mentions in A Book of Five Rings, continually learn.

Of course, there are other benefits to MA, such as building self-confidence, learning humility, and having opportunities to serve others. I don't so much consider these as part of my MA philosophy, but more as benefits of MA, because I can experience them in other pursuits, too. It just happens that MA provides me with plenty of opportunities to grow in these other areas.

Ed

P.S. Man, this is a pretty tough question. I think I took an hour writing this post and I'll probably want to revise it and restate certain things again.

Ed

Has anyone ever heard this poem?

I am a martial artist.

I see through different eyes.

I see a bigger picture

when others see gray skies.

Though many can't conceive it,

I stand. . .facing the wind.

My bravery, not from fighting,

but from my strength within.

I am a martial artist.

I'll walk the extra mile.

Not because I have too,

but because it's worth my while.

I know that I am different,

when I stand on a crowded street.

I know the fullness of winning,

I've tasted the cup of defeat.

I am a martial artist.

They say I walk with ease.

Though trained for bodily harm,

my intentions are for peace.

The world may come and go,

but a different path I'll choose.

A path I will not stray from,

no matter, win or lose.

This is sort of my philosophy on martial arts. It was written by Karen Eden.

• 1 month later...

My personal philosophy of the ma's is very simple. At the end of the day, it's about combative efficiency first and foremost. Everything else is seconday to learing to fight.

There is nothing wrong with placing worth on the other philosophical outlooks spoken of above. They are all highly valid. Most are developed as a result managing to stay with training and continuing to get up off the mat. I think sometimes, we get so caught up in those other things that are developed via training that we lose focus on what the "martial" in the name means.