• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Changing behavior/personality

ShotokanKid

It's been a long time since I've been on KF.

Anyways, I had a question for you all... I wanted to ask how one would go about changing their behavior/personality. I am interested specifically in becoming quieter. I consider myself a bit too talkative and borderline hyper... my goal is to become quieter and calmer. What can I do to achieve this?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, you know what you want to change, so now just work on changing it. There isn't a lot of magic to it. Just try to talk less, listen more, etc.

Why do you want to change? Personally, I like who I am, and don't want to change much of anything (except for maybe lose a few pounds...).

It's been a long time since I've been on KF.

Anyways, I had a question for you all... I wanted to ask how one would go about changing their behavior/personality. I am interested specifically in becoming quieter. I consider myself a bit too talkative and borderline hyper... my goal is to become quieter and calmer. What can I do to achieve this?

I dont know much about this but, I don't think you can change your personality at will can you? I think maybe it happens naturally.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Why do you want to change? Personally, I like who I am, and don't want to change much of anything (except for maybe lose a few pounds...).

Well, I occasionally think I'm annoying... and I can just imagine what other people are thinking if I think that I'm annoying. I'm sometimes make jokes and say things that are met with the chirping of crickets (aka awkward silence). I find I'm a lot more satisfied with my day when I'm quiet. I also tend to laugh at a lot of things, even if they're not that funny, and I'm sure this gets annoying.

So what do you think?

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I dont know much about this but, I don't think you can change your personality at will can you? I think maybe it happens naturally.

I don't think it's so much personality as it is behavior. I'm not sure whether or not it can be done but if I can, I would like to try.

Well, I occasionally think I'm annoying... and I can just imagine what other people are thinking if I think that I'm annoying. I'm sometimes make jokes and say things that are met with the chirping of crickets (aka awkward silence). I find I'm a lot more satisfied with my day when I'm quiet. I also tend to laugh at a lot of things, even if they're not that funny, and I'm sure this gets annoying.

So what do you think?

Well, I think we all have times like that. If you want to be more quiet and listen to more things, then that is fine. I don't think it will change you much, just that your personality will show up less, because you express yourself less.

Perhaps, at the beginning of a day, you should find one thing you would like to do differently. Focus on that one thing, and see how it works. It will probably start to come naturally and then you can go on to the next thing. I have used this method when I wanted to avoid using certain expressions.

Hope this helps! :)

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

That's funny that you would mention a method like that... I just recently started keeping a goal notebook--goals that I achieved are highlighted, ones that I failed are marked over in red. Some of them are things like get an A on my math test, others are behavior specific things. It's been working out pretty well. It is a great idea, thanks A.Orstrom.

Well you have to listen more to your environment , and the people around you. And think about everything you say before you say it. Medation will help with this.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 1 month later...

I'm a psychology student, and a firm believer that you certain can change your behavior. However, it will require disciplined operant conditioning, and will probably be easier if someone else is keeping you in check. You have to replace your impulses with a more acceptable behavior, if you really think its something worth changing.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.