• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will Karate Improve my Self Confidence ?

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding Karate and whether or not it is likely to improve my self confidence ?

I have often wanted to start a martial art having experienced Judo as a youngster so I recently took the plunge and went along to my Local Karate Club. I really enjoyed the first couple of sessions even though they left me rather sore and I am planning to carrry on.

However my reasons for starting Karate are mixed.. the main reason being that although I am middle aged and of larger build I have very low self confidence and lack confidence in social situations and often doubt /question my own ability. Having read various articles on the net suggesting that MA's in general will improve your confidence I thought I would give it a go and chose Karate as I believe it has a "mental" aspect to it (I assume most MA's do to an extent - excuse my lack of knowledge).

Can anyone advise whether or not Karate Is likely to improve my confidence and does anyone have a similar experience ??? All posts welcome. thx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well ive done two types of karate for 23 years , and i say it will definitly help all your problems above.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Karate, or any other Martial Art, can help you with your self-confidence, but the most important factor in improving your self-confidence is you. It all starts with how you view yourself, and how you think about yourself.

Martial Arts will bring a new type of activity to you, and as you begin to see that "hey, I can do this, and I enjoy it," you will begin to improve your self-confidence. I think that there are many activites that can do this for you, too. Many people gravitate towards the Martial Arts because they are an individual activity, and the only competition that you have to have is with yourself.

Begin by believing in yourself.

I was as you are in my mind to late 20's when I again took up Martial Arts. I could tell a big diffrence in my confidense within months of getting into training. I set goals like never before and now hold myself to a high standard whether it be my training or the way I conduct myself in public.

It all starts with how you view yourself, and how you think about yourself.

bushido_man96 makes a good point. Also, without getting into a deep discussion, I will say that I have found my self-confidence has improved as I have accomplished challenging goals in life, many of which involved MA.

Ed

Ed

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding Karate and whether or not it is likely to improve my self confidence ?

I have often wanted to start a martial art having experienced Judo as a youngster so I recently took the plunge and went along to my Local Karate Club. I really enjoyed the first couple of sessions even though they left me rather sore and I am planning to carrry on.

However my reasons for starting Karate are mixed.. the main reason being that although I am middle aged and of larger build I have very low self confidence and lack confidence in social situations and often doubt /question my own ability. Having read various articles on the net suggesting that MA's in general will improve your confidence I thought I would give it a go and chose Karate as I believe it has a "mental" aspect to it (I assume most MA's do to an extent - excuse my lack of knowledge).

Can anyone advise whether or not Karate Is likely to improve my confidence and does anyone have a similar experience ??? All posts welcome. thx

The short answer is yes, but of course, how much will also depend on your teacher as well. I hope that you are training in a good/authentic school of karate which will teach you the real thing, this way your confidence will have real basis.

Train with dedication, because with dedication you will grow in all aspects, including self-confidence, much faster. By the way, what style of karate are you practicing?

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

bushido_man96 makes a good point. Also, without getting into a deep discussion, I will say that I have found my self-confidence has improved as I have accomplished challenging goals in life, many of which involved MA.

Ed

Yes, Ed. I agree. I think building self-confidence and other moral attributes has more to do with just involving yourself in something constructive, whether it be the Martial Arts, a sport club, or any other activity.

Ed

Yes, Ed. I agree. I think building self-confidence and other moral attributes has more to do with just involving yourself in something constructive, whether it be the Martial Arts, a sport club, or any other activity.

Right I don't think that it is unique to MAs, however Karate usually is a constructive hobby, and as such probably will help you build your confidence. :)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

If it's good karate, it will indeed help you, I believe.