• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best Self-Defense Techniques

Johnlogic121

In the style of Karate I study, we focus on combat techniques that are generally illegal to apply in normal self-defense scenarios. For example, one of our basic moves is a shikanken, or extended knuckle fist, executed to the throat. A firm punch with this hand formation to the throat seals the windpipe shut and it can be lethal. Legally, the ordinary person could only apply this technique if the attacker was using 90% full force, since you can normally only use 10% more force that your attacker. My question for the forum is this: What are some of the best moves for self-defense? I am not talking about combat techniques, like a full power frontal groin kick followed by a vicous eye gouge. What techniques are good for stopping power only, and not for killing power? What kinds of methods do you use when you don't want to go to jail or prison for permanantly incapacitating someone? Any thoughts?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there are many more but you have the general idea. And in a defence situation you should use these. Because i would lol

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Move in for the throw.. :D cement or hard ground has plenty of stopping power.. or a kick in the knee cap, although that may get someone in trouble in court if they broke it?? but then again it was only one strike? hmm..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

A good one born of much experience, is a hooking punch to the jaw, knocking an opponent out. It's qood to go for the sweet spot to rock that brain, but it needs to be a good punch. Bone on bone offers a fair bit more 'shock' to the skull than a glove.

• 2 weeks later...
A good one born of much experience, is a hooking punch to the jaw, knocking an opponent out. It's qood to go for the sweet spot to rock that brain, but it needs to be a good punch. Bone on bone offers a fair bit more 'shock' to the skull than a glove.

that just sounds painful! :(

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think that the "best self defense techniques" vary from person to person based on one's training background and one's strengths and weaknesses. As far as avoiding jail I think that intent is more important than the technique you use. For example, if you did kick someone in the kneecap and shattered their knee, but ended all attacks after your assailant was neutralized, then you are much less likely to end up in jail than a person who neutralized an attack AND then continued to beat the assailant. In the former situation, if charges were even brought, a good defense lawyer should get you out of trouble. In the latter scenario it might be a bit harder to avoid litigation.

Ed

Ed

for not killing or maming?

locking, throwing, sweeping, wrist locks are good especially for control. or something that would cause a short knock-out. like a corotid artery strike, but if youre not careful brain damage may be sure to follow. but my rule is, try to hurt me, i have no fear of laying a hurtin on you.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Thats probably very effective. I know its not the same but a lot of TKD style sparring KOs tend to occur when the opponent is hit upwards into their jaw. It doesn't take much if you hit the right spot and say if you did it in self defense all it would take is one technique to KO them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius