• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Powerful Technique Category

Hello, I have gone through martial arts that include Ninjutsu. In that art, they assert that there are four basic categories for attacking techniques, and a fifth miscellaneous category only contains a few things. Attacking techniques are either punching (including hand strikes and strikes with the arms, like elbows and shoulder strikes), kicking (including knees), grappling (either standing or groundfighting, with chokes), throwing, and the miscellanoues category includes head butts, biting, and leaping into the air to smash down upon a fallen foe and charging with the whole body. My question for the forum's discussion is this: what is the order of these categories in terms of the most effective, considering reliability and how much damage the moves typically do? You can order five things in 120 ways, so there are many possible answers. I would say that the most effective to least effective categories would be in this list: punching, kicking, throwing, grappling, and miscellanous. What do other people say? I know some people would put grappling first, but my opinion is that the best punching and kicking is stronger. Thanks in advance, -JL.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the usefulness of the techniques that you list depends on the range of fighting that you are in at the time. The categories you listed basically break down into the fight ranges. Therefore, I don't think that one takes precedence over the other. It just depends on the situation that you are in at the time.

Hello, I have gone through martial arts that include Ninjutsu. In that art, they assert that there are four basic categories for attacking techniques, and a fifth miscellaneous category only contains a few things. Attacking techniques are either punching (including hand strikes and strikes with the arms, like elbows and shoulder strikes), kicking (including knees), grappling (either standing or groundfighting, with chokes), throwing, and the miscellanoues category includes head butts, biting, and leaping into the air to smash down upon a fallen foe and charging with the whole body. My question for the forum's discussion is this: what is the order of these categories in terms of the most effective, considering reliability and how much damage the moves typically do? You can order five things in 120 ways, so there are many possible answers. I would say that the most effective to least effective categories would be in this list: punching, kicking, throwing, grappling, and miscellanous. What do other people say? I know some people would put grappling first, but my opinion is that the best punching and kicking is stronger. Thanks in advance, -JL.

You have to be good at all ranges of combat. If up against a better boxer - grapple. If up against a better grappler - box. To keep the fight standing - you'll have to dominate in the clinch range. To take the fight to the ground - you'll also have to dominate in the clinch range.

So a qualified fighter should be able to fight well in all three ranges.

I think that the usefulness of the techniques that you list depends on the range of fighting that you are in at the time. The categories you listed basically break down into the fight ranges. Therefore, I don't think that one takes precedence over the other. It just depends on the situation that you are in at the time.

Absolutely.

I totally agree. The most effective range is the one your are in at that moment in time.

It would depend on your enemy/opponent, how you were trained, how long you’ve been training, what you excel at, what you are weaknesses are, your personal fitness level, and possibly height (dwarfs usually lose in terms of power and are easy to push around. No offence to any dwarfs, but then again some techniques are easier when your shorter), and your willingness to fight.

(I'll expand on this when I finish my homework)

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

I agree with other people that is is situational. There is a best technique for a situation but no overall best technique.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php

• 2 months later...

Please let me clarify my original message posting. I did not mean to imply that people should consider various ranges. Talking about what combat range is the most desirable range amongst the others would be a message thread onto itself, as some people prefer long range and some people prefer close range fighting. However, I am trying to gather perspectives on what the most powerful technique category is. If you could move to any range that you wanted to be in, what type of techniques would you prefer to use? If somebody was creating a new martial art, what category of techniques should be their primary focus? My opinion is that punching with the hands or striking with the hands is relatively stronger than anything else, even though you have to use everything else from time to time. I consider grappling and groundfighting to be weaker than throwing, even though throwing can be a lead to wrestling on the ground. I feel punches and hand strikes are generally stronger than kicks, when you consider how long it takes to develop good kicking ability and think of how much easier it is to land a strike with a punch rather than a kick. I hope these comments let people know what I was trying to get at. Thanks, -JL

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo