• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Years ago, I read a magazine article in an issue of Black Belt magazine that said there was a difference between Muay Thai in Thailand and Muay Thai in the United States. Apparently, the primary kicks used in Thailand are the front kick, the back kick, and the side kick in that order. According to the author of the article I read, he said that in the United States, most Muay Thai Schools are teaching the style in such a way that the predominant kicks are the roundhouse kick, the front kick, and the side kick. The strength of Muay Thai is supposed to come not just from the basics used individually but from the devastating combinations that have been learned over the centuries through trial and error. The author of the article I read said that the transfer of those effective combinations is essentially not happening as it should as Muay Thai gets absorbed into the U.S. in ways that make it more similiar to American Freestyle Kickboxing. I thought this thesis would be of interst to the people who follow this area of the karateforums index. What do people think of this? Can anyone substantiate how Muay Thai is customarily used either in the States or in Thailand? If the transmission of the style is not going well, does that mean that most of the secrets of the style are still in Thailand? I'm curious as to the forum's feedback. What do you guys think?

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some of that info doesn't sound right. Even in Thailand, I believe that the dominant kick is the roundhouse kick, mainly to the upper section of the legs. The teep (front) kick is used like a jab or a stop-kick, and the side kick is rarely used.

I think that the main difference between Muay Thai in the U.S. and Thailand was that elbows were disallowed in most U.S. Thaiboxing competitions. The reason that Thaiboxing in the U.S. resembles American Kickboxing more is because those American Kickboxing competitors are the ones who got into the sport. Therefore, their fighting styles from the Kickboxing followed, with some modifications to the new rules set.

The main difference is the elbows like bushido_man96" said. But it all comes down the fighter and what he/she is using and there personal style.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Yes the rule also has some aspect in it.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Some of that info doesn't sound right. Even in Thailand, I believe that the dominant kick is the roundhouse kick, mainly to the upper section of the legs. The teep (front) kick is used like a jab or a stop-kick, and the side kick is rarely used.

I think that the main difference between Muay Thai in the U.S. and Thailand was that elbows were disallowed in most U.S. Thaiboxing competitions. The reason that Thaiboxing in the U.S. resembles American Kickboxing more is because those American Kickboxing competitors are the ones who got into the sport. Therefore, their fighting styles from the Kickboxing followed, with some modifications to the new rules set.

I agree.. you know, Thai Fighters can be scary, I dont know what it is, but I would fight any other style before that one??

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think it is because the ones in Thailand that actually survive long enough to compete as adults have been doing since they were around 8 years old, and they have been doing it to win bread for the family. If you come to fight them, they look at it like you are coming to steal their bread. Not a good thing...