• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor losing their cool in sparring

Yes i agreee , you shouldn't go back to that school.

I third that statement.

I fourth it.

1. It's her fault, if she hasn't the abiltiy to protect herself and control her punches, how can she expect it from a yellow belt

2. The main instructor is also at fault.

If there are pushups to be done, he should be the one handing them out

Appearentely he isn't able to control her

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she was probably upset cause you gave her a run for her money while sparring.. if I was your instructor and we was sparring and you got me square in the nose, even if I still got you.. I would have congratulated you, thats the point of sparring isn't it? sometimes you get a bruise here and there.. for her to act this way is immature... this is what angers me so much is that SO SO SO many schools will just give you the belt for making the monthly payment.. I say you did a good job for apologizing!

do you know how much I payed for Kodokan? 30 dollars.. thats it.. my instructor is japanase/american and he was a Medical Director at a hospital and retired at like 45, so he doesnt need the money... and throughout all the training I think he should have payed me for all the bruises I got!! but its part of training and I dont regret it even a little bit..

you did good for saying your sorry... I am not saying you should quit just yet, but the choice is yours.. good luck mate.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

And one more thing! Your probably gonna be the few who actually deserve the black belt status! I cannot believe she acted like that.. it makes BB's look bad! okay im done yelling... :D

Good luck mate.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

"I should have blocked it."

This is what I usually think and say when I get hit. Slugger, from my perspective the reaction of your BB sparring partner, as you describe it, is totally out-of-line. On the other hand, you conducted yourself properly. :karate:

Ed

Ed

Thanks for all of the advice. As much as I love karate, I agree with the majority here and have quit the club. (Didn't have the nerve to discuss it with the instructor). This is a problem that wouldn't have gone away and really represents the whole tone of the club: too much pride. But the end result is that it's my loss not theirs. One student more or less doesn't really make much difference to them. I've given up a sport that I found highly rewarding. There's only two clubs in my town, I may try the other in time, once the bad taste is gone a bit. Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks for all of the advice. As much as I love karate, I agree with the majority here and have quit the club. (Didn't have the nerve to discuss it with the instructor). This is a problem that wouldn't have gone away and really represents the whole tone of the club: too much pride. But the end result is that it's my loss not theirs. One student more or less doesn't really make much difference to them. I've given up a sport that I found highly rewarding. There's only two clubs in my town, I may try the other in time, once the bad taste is gone a bit. Thanks again to everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't let the actions of one person, or the attitudes at one school, sour you on training. Like any community, there are all kinds of people involved in martial arts. My experience has been that as a whole, martial artists are quality people.

I don't know if something like this would be right for you, but I know that some people with limited training options have had good experiences with correspondence courses. I've heard good things about The Karate Connection, mostly from Vic Leroux, one of the people involved in creating the program. I don't know if they still do this, but they used to send you instructional videos, then you would send back videos of yourself, and they would critique you. They do Kenpo Karate.

http://www.karateconnection.com/

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

It is their loss, because you are a good person. They are going to continue to lose students. I can say that there is no way that I wouldn't tell them why I left.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I don't think I would have appologized at all. "Never hit a black belt"? What kind of philosophy is that?

I agree here too, I dont care what color of belt you have, if were sparring, I am going to try and take you down... period..

I don't think I would have appologized at all. "Never hit a black belt"? What kind of philosophy is that?

I agree here too, I dont care what color of belt you have, if were sparring, I am going to try and take you down... period..

I agree. The other week, I took a hook kick to the face in class. My fault; should have had the hands up. I lived, I learned. Training goes on. I actually thanked my partner for it. It also happened to be a kick I told him to give a try. Goofy me! :lol: