• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hurting My Sparring Partner

I've always been a kicker more then anything, given that I have trained in BJJ, Ryukyu Kempo, Tang Soo Do, and Mui Thai. When I spar with friends at the dojo, I always seem to bring my opponent tumbling to the ground when I kick at there legs, even at 25% power. They just lay their gravling in pain. Its not that I mean to, its just that I was built for Mui Thai kicks (I stand 6'4 and have a VERY strong legs). Now if I were to attack at full force... well thats another story.

So I was wondering: What can I do to stop hurting my sparring partner? I'm afraid of one day of seriously hurting someone. Should I stop just using kicks all together or what? Any help would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

People are bound not by limitation, but rather by the barriers of their imagination~~ Paul White-- 2004

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yes you can pad your shins, stop doing low kicks all together, or just fake the kick and use the utmost control coming within about an inch from there leg and that way, if they bite then that might even set you up for a nice follow up. good luck

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I've always been a kicker more then anything, given that I have trained in BJJ, Ryukyu Kempo, Tang Soo Do, and Mui Thai. When I spar with friends at the dojo, I always seem to bring my opponent tumbling to the ground when I kick at there legs, even at 25% power. They just lay their gravling in pain. Its not that I mean to, its just that I was built for Mui Thai kicks (I stand 6'4 and have a VERY strong legs). Now if I were to attack at full force... well thats another story.

So I was wondering: What can I do to stop hurting my sparring partner? I'm afraid of one day of seriously hurting someone. Should I stop just using kicks all together or what? Any help would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

are you saying you have no control over your legs?? thats kinda confusing? :-?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

You should maybe ease up a little , but not stop because this is great training for your oppoents and sparin partners.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Maybe ease up on the leg kicks until you get enough control to not hurt your partner.

Work on a bag- take the top off it's stand and set it on the ground. work until you can form the leg kick at near full speed without knocking the bag over. This way, when you do leg kicks on your partner, you are using control to avoid hurting them, and gaining the muscle memory that you need.

In addition you should train every once in a while on something rather than someone, so you can get a little practice in with force.

Also, padding as everyone has said.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Isn't this all about control? You are responsible for every technique your throw. You should be able to throw a technique with full speed and power and pull it before it touches more than cloth. I don't think there is any excuse for hurting your sparring partner. Focus. Control.