• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ defensive; does Wrestling seem offensive?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it ok to drink some distilled water today? I don't plan on drinking or eating anything the morning of the weigh in. I'm less than a pound away from my weight. I just did 40 minutes of cardio at lunch and tonight I'm training for 3 2 hours.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

You should be fine to take in some water. By the time you get up in the morning, you should be really close to weight if your going to train and have time to check the scales before weigh ins. Good luck at the scales and good luck in the competition.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I made weight, competed and lost. It was a blast!

Congrats and better luck next go around! As they say, been there, done that. I cut a little weight for my last try at a grappling competition and lost in the first round. PitbullJudoka got in a nice sub that day though.

So, is this just one more in a string of competitions, the beginning of one or the end Treebranch? What srot of rules set were you working under? I get curious to see what other folks are up to when it comes to competition.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The rules for Blue Belts were no ankle locks or leg locks of any kind. It was the Copa Pacifica tournament in Orange County California. It was a great time. I had a blast! It was a 4 minute round and I had to go up against a beast. This guy was huge! He shot in and I avoided the take down and immediately went for the guilliotine, but needed to adjust it to really sink and he popped his head out. After that it was 3 minutes of him trying to mount from side control and me trying to get him into my guard. I was calm and I wasn't close to tired yet. I tried everything, but this guy was good and fricken strong as an ox. He eventually trapped my left arm and went for the armbar. I grabbed my arm knowing what was coming. We fought for a little and he yanked and got the armbar. He tapped me at 3 min 36 sec. I was proud to loose to this guy. He ended destroying everyone else and winning gold. If my technique was a little sharper I would have tapped him in first few seconds. Next time I'll be sharper.

Not sure. I think I should keep dropping weight. For my height I should be below 200 lbs. It was fun grappling with the giants, but I'm in the process of slimming down anyway. I'm sure I'll see him again.

Thanks brotha!