• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ defensive; does Wrestling seem offensive?

When you are speaking about traditional wrestling, like high school wrestling, then yes, it is very aggressive because you are trying to manipulate your opponent for a pin.

I think BJJ is aggressive too in this light, as you are also manipulating your opponent for a submission.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bjj would be more aggressive if there was more emphisis put on the submission instead of points. There are a few tournaments that stress the sub. The last few I've competed in don't even count points for the first round and in case of a tie the last round is untimed and first take down wins which forces the competitors to be aggressive.

But as stated above there is a must pin mentallity in wrestling. Part of the reason for this especially in high school wrestling, is because when competing in a dual match a win by pin is worth more than a win by points.

But as stated above there is a must pin mentallity in wrestling. Part of the reason for this especially in high school wrestling, is because when competing in a dual match a win by pin is worth more than a win by points.

Yes, except for the technical fall. Last I knew, the technical fall was worth more points than a pin. I have seen high school matches where one kid would be so skilled that he would go into the match and just dominate a kid so much that he would take him down, put him on his back, and earn back points, just to let the kid stand up, and do it over again. Kind of a sucky way to lose a match, but when it is competition, and every point counts, the coaches have kids do it at times.

That's also true. And I'm guilty of doing just what you mentioned back in high school. And that comes to and mental control of your other competetors as well. Think if you're watching all your competion in your given weight class and this guy just blows another guy out of the water and you're sure he's toying with the guy.

Bjj would be more aggressive if there was more emphisis put on the submission instead of points. There are a few tournaments that stress the sub. The last few I've competed in don't even count points for the first round and in case of a tie the last round is untimed and first take down wins which forces the competitors to be aggressive.

I think it should be about submissions too. Matches could take alot of time to complete, but I think it would be better.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

That's also true. And I'm guilty of doing just what you mentioned back in high school. And that comes to and mental control of your other competetors as well. Think if you're watching all your competion in your given weight class and this guy just blows another guy out of the water and you're sure he's toying with the guy.

Yeah, that could be a psychological attack, so to speak. You have to wonder how good he is, or how bad the other guy may have been.

I think it should be about submissions too. Matches could take alot of time to complete, but I think it would be better.

Submissions ebd the match any time during the first and second round. They don't score points in the first to encourage the sub.

That's cool. Is that common?

That's cool. Is that common?
In the tournaments I compete in it's in the basic rule set. I'll look the rules over before entering a tourney and if they go more toward lay and prey I won't even waste my time with entering. But I also have to be very selective with what tournaments I go to because I only get the chance to compete on a rare occation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm highly considering competing in the Copa Pacifica this month. That's if I can drop 10 lbs. I don't want to fight giants.