• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ defensive; does Wrestling seem offensive?

I've rolled with wrestlers and they are very quick and powerful. I still was able to have control and did just fine. There are ways my friends. True Jujutsu is like fighting an empty jacket. If you can master not resisting, a whole new world will open up for you.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do get back to the point of Wrestling and BJJ. I'd say BJJ is more useful to most fighters and average people than Wrestling would be. There's always going to be someone quicker and stronger.

only person left for him to fight is Fedor Emelienenko, and that fight won't happen

I would sell my house to see that fight :P

I've rolled with wrestlers and they are very quick and powerful. I still was able to have control and did just fine. There are ways my friends. True Jujutsu is like fighting an empty jacket. If you can master not resisting, a whole new world will open up for you.

sure ! I have rolled with wrestlers and have wrestled at HS , but I am talking about this guy , a world class wrestler , a guy who represented his country in many international events , and was replacement for the top guy in the olympics.

The guy has a very tight side control , and it is very difficult to move...you can play ´´ no resist game ´´ when you are on your guard al least...but if you are on the bottom of a side control...you better do something.

Wrestling is offensive , all the way. You get punished if you dont engage the fight , or avoid the opponent.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Have you been doing BJJ, Submission Grappling? I'd highly recommend it.

The question really doesn't have a set answer. I can grapple offensively and defensivly. It just depends on the opponent. Situation to situation your game plan will change. Grappling either way done properly will lead to the baiting of your opponent. Thus baiting is what you are doing umltimately to make you adversery make a mistake to were you can pin or submit them. To win in your respective sport.

The question really doesn't have a set answer. I can grapple offensively and defensivly. It just depends on the opponent. Situation to situation your game plan will change. Grappling either way done properly will lead to the baiting of your opponent. Thus baiting is what you are doing umltimately to make you adversery make a mistake to were you can pin or submit them. To win in your respective sport.

Very nicely put! :)

I guess that sums it up! Thanks. :)

Since you bring up the original topic, let me expand upon my initial assumptions.

When I was in Wrestling (yeah, for that one whole year...) and when I watch Wrestling matches, they usually seem much more fast paced, with the two competitors going after each other hard. I guess that perhaps this viewpoint I have comes from what I like to call the "pin mentality." I do know that you can win off of points, but you have to be offensive to get the most number of points; i.e., back points, takedowns, etc. Reversals are worth 2, and escapes are only worth 1. You can get up to 3 back points at a time, and takedowns are worth 2. You get more points for going on the attack. This is why Wrestling seems more aggresive, or offensive, to me.

Now, when I have watched BJJ, argueable in MMA matches most of the time, when a fighter goes to the ground, they seem to be more patient (usually) when it comes to setting up. They don't have to worry about being pinned while on their back, and can use the various guard positions to try to stall out the opponent, and then work from the bottom as well. Therefore, it appears to me that BJJ seems to be a bit more defensive.

This is how the two sports appear to me.