• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ defensive; does Wrestling seem offensive?

That's why wrestlers usually do very well at taking up judo and BJJ (undoing a few 'bad' habits first). They combine the clinchwork and standup (with some pins) with the throws and/or submissions for the submission grappling to create a very well rounded grappler. I would disagree a bit on the ground thing a bit- there is a reason why the guard was so revolutionary. Of course in modern MMA it has lost a lot of its impact because people know how to deal with it, however if it is pure style vs. style then there is still an advantage.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm ok on my back.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

ying&yang wrote:

mmmmhhh, well i think personally that wouldn't happen to me. But it is very possible to someone who is less experienced.

You really seem to underestimate wrestlers. They have done very well in MMA competitions. Randy Couture has beaten BJJ practitioners before so it could happen to you also.

Well dont think that i dont have the up most respect for the wrestlers because i do. But i have trained for hours to get out and to attact wrestlers because for many years that was the only style that i had problems with , so the wrestling style is very strong. But now i have it made so even if "Randy Couture" took me on im 80% sure i would win. You have to remember that randy is just an other person to me i dont care how famous he is in the ring his just an other oppoent for me to go through.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

You say you can beat randy in 8/10 times ? That is a controversial statement I think. I dont know you , Im not telling that you lie, but if you can do that , you are one of the top fighters in the earth.

If that is true , think about going pro !

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Well i dont bluff, so yes i do believe that i can beat randy 8/10 times. Also there are thousands of top martial artists around the world that could put most of the best fighters we know to shame , but they do not believe in touraments or "going pro". What you see on TV and in ruled touraments is childs play compared to the real thing.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

I don't know why there are so many non-competing Martial Artists out there that automatically think that a ring fighter would not be able to defend themselves on the street. It just doesn't make sense to me. These guys practice every day at a high level. Sure, they are getting ready for the ring, but I am pretty sure that when it comes down to "real" self-defense, they know how to put an end to the fight real quick.

Just lower your jab a few inches, and you have a punch to the throat. Lower the target of your thigh kick, and you have a kick to the knee. There isn't that much mystery to it.

Well i dont bluff, so yes i do believe that i can beat randy 8/10 times. Also there are thousands of top martial artists around the world that could put most of the best fighters we know to shame , but they do not believe in touraments or "going pro". What you see on TV and in ruled touraments is childs play compared to the real thing.

I'm sorry, but that is quite a statement to make. Many thought that way during the early years of the UFC and ended up loosing very badly (and yes, there were almost no rules in the early days). I'm not saying that there aren't lots of good fighters who don't go pro- very few people do, even those that train in a realistic manner. However the top pro fighters are just that- the best of the best. There are hours of video in recorded fights and countless witnesses to back up their prowess. If you had evidence of the said thousands of martial artists who can make pro MMA fights look like child's play, then I would ask that you please show examples of these people demonstrating their skill.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I have trouble believing that there is any person alive that could easily defeat Couture eight out of ten times (assuming MMA rules). Not only that, he's a very smart fighter. In the "street" or during the "real thing" he can fight just as dirty as you can. Eye jabs, groin strikes, and make shift weapons are things just about anyone can use.

Too many people hide behind the whole, "tournaments are a waste of time" or "demonstrations of your skill are not honorable" scheme. This is just a way to make sure no one has the opportunity to knock them off their throne. Tournaments and other competitive events may not test every faction of martial arts prowess...but they are certainly better than doing nothing more than drilling technique day in and day out with no validation of the techniques. A person needs to be put under stress, with adrenaline pumping, and the actual fear of being defeated. This will teach them to think and act under pressure. That's what competition helps to accomplish.

There may be some no-name people out there who can defeat the pro fighters out there. But they are very few and very far between. If you believe you're one of them, then take a seminar from one of these pro fighters. Most of them will spar with you at their seminars. Then you'll have some realistic idea of how well you actually compare. If you are already sure you stack up well against them, kudos to you. But it's difficult to believe.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."