• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Focus Mitts - do you use them?

lupus yonderboy

I used focus mitts in various martial arts classes for years. One a Straight Blast Gym DVD, Matt Thornton suggest people get rid of them after the very beginning stages of training.

Sounded like too radical of a concept to me at first.

But we tried it recently. We catchj the punches in the palms of our gloves, just like focus mitts - but when we fire back at the man we are training (say if he drops his guard while punching) it is with proper mechanics.

When we would fire the focus mitt at the guy's head, before, it was always a somewhat sloppy swing. The boxing glove changes that.

But it also gives us the chance to fire back and forth at each other as a progressive step to full sparring.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have seen some focus mitts that are kind of a cross between the glove/mitt. They might suit the purpose you discuss.

I think they can be a good training tool. However, it is hard for the partner to strike with them, like you mention.

Yes i do use them when i am training my stundents , i think they are very useful for hand eye coridination.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 months later...

We do something similar with the catching of the punches. It lets you set up some great drills.

That being said, we've never gone away from mitts completely. They're just too useful for developing power in combinations and full speed precision.

That being said, the Straight Blast guys I've know are pretty top notch. There's probibly good theroy behind what they're saying.

Still, I don't think I'll do away with mine entirely just yet.

We do a bit of both. But I do like the focus pads we use at squad training. The other person always fires back kicks or strikes if you stay to close or leave yourself vulnerable and the pads themselves force you to be accurate with your shots.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius