• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fight Ability Testing - How do you guys test?

We spar at second stripe purple on up. Sparring is light contact with pads. No leg shots and very light contact to the head. Blackbelt spars with three. All other belts spar with one. Only 2-3 minutes total with intervals.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I test people I like to see how long they can go and how they can hold up. So When I test people I like to do it straight for five minutes - Ten minutes depending on rank and I like to see if they can score first on lower ranks or not.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

My sensei likes to have a green belt or higher spar EVERYBODY in the school one after another. This is to deliberately cause the person to get tired and force them to conserve energy.

This isn't necessarily for tests, but lets face it...when you test, your instructor should already have a sense of your ability to defend yourself.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

Hi there. I'm just curious how you guys typically test? Is fighting involved, and if so, what are the limits and rules on the fighting for your test?

In BJJ, they typically test by fighting with one another. When a student can "hang" with other guys of the next belt level, he can expect to become that belt very soon.

How do you guys do it? I'm curious to all responses.

We do it in a similar fashion in Kyokushin. My last test, I had to fight jissen kumite (full contact with no pads) for 20 straight minutes, with them switching out opponents every 2 min so I was constantly fighting a fresh fighter. For maybe the first 1/3 or 1/2 you're hanging well but near the end you're just a gasping wheezing punching bag :D You don't need to spar to get your yellow belt, but from there and beyond it's all kumite.

• 1 month later...

reguardless of rank, theres some rounds of sparring. Depending on rank, the harder the judges go on you, and they're always within the same ranking class. (this is for tae kwon do)

There is little honor in going down. There is no honor in going down without a fight. --- Victory dwells in the individual, not the style

Hi there. I'm just curious how you guys typically test? Is fighting involved, and if so, what are the limits and rules on the fighting for your test?

In BJJ, they typically test by fighting with one another. When a student can "hang" with other guys of the next belt level, he can expect to become that belt very soon.

How do you guys do it? I'm curious to all responses.

what you said here is very similar to testing in my Judo class, along with forms.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I personally don't believe it is necessary to spar for long periods of time. In a self defense situation one wants to get out as soon as possible, not stand there and duke it out, thus there is no need to train to spar for longer periods of time.

From my understanding one of the reasons is to show perseverance and indomitable spirit, but I don't think it is applicable for self defense.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I think it's a test o will and conditioning. More a a matter of developing a fighting spirit than anything else when done for extended periods.

Also, it's useful to put the body under extreme physical duress then train, it helps simulate the body's overwhealing reaction when confronted with combat. The last few rounds of dealing with an opponant after extended sparring might be the most important when it comes to prepping the body for intense, brief fight conditions due to it's response.

My students are told that they are tested literally every day in class. They are tested on attendance, participation, effort, attitude, knowledge and improved speed, power, and accuracy in each technique they use. They are required to perform whatever kata for the level that they are at, plus any other previous kata that I feel like asking them to do for me.

Students are coached by me during each class about what they are doing well, and what they need to work on to improve. I am a "hands on" instructor, which means I'm involved in each and every class, with each and every student I teach. I have an open door policy when means students can come in anytime and ask me anything, martial arts related or otherwise.

The actual test itself is a formality really. I run them through kata mostly, but often ask them to perform a series of self defense techniques against one or more opponents. These are realistic drills, not prearranged. There are NO physical fitness requirements for advancement. Showing how many pushups you can do has nothing to do with advancement. I don't care if you can do 5---or 500!

As for sparring..yes, we finish the class/test with sparring. Win or lose, I don't care because I've been testing them all along in each class, so I know what they are capable of.

Students are not told when they are testing. I take a prospective rank advancement student and have them show me a kata or other techniques, which I do often anyway, so they don't know if at that time they are testing, or just having me watch them.

I find it keeps them on their toes and stops the "When am I going to test?" questions.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I personally don't believe it is necessary to spar for long periods of time. In a self defense situation one wants to get out as soon as possible, not stand there and duke it out, thus there is no need to train to spar for longer periods of time.

From my understanding one of the reasons is to show perseverance and indomitable spirit, but I don't think it is applicable for self defense.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. The "never quit" attitude is definitely useful for self defense. Think about it: you're halfway through your test, and by this time you're tired. You can barely keep your hands up by this point, and every few minutes a new opponent comes in, just as fresh as the last. You could simply just give up, after all in this case all you lose is a belt rank. In a real fight though, if you just simply give up, you could lose your life.

By learning how far you can actually push your body (which your mind will give up long before your body will), you can achieve that spirit of OSU, that never say die attitude, the perseverance to fight fight fight until the enemy is defeated. That could be one of THE most important things you need in a self defense situation.