• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UechiRyu Zankai

Seizan

Hello everyone,

My name is Gordi Breyette, named “Seizan” by my teacher, Toyama Seiko Sensei. Toyama Sensei is 10th Dan in UechiRyu, and owner of the Okinawa KarateDo UechiRyu Zankai (Mountain Association). He is the last active student of UechiRyu founder Uechi Kanbun Sensei, and was a student and colleague of Uechi Kanei Sensei for 40 years – so he survived both the father and son. Today, he teaches only Kanbun Sensei’s original performance style, rather different from Kanei Sensei’s. Toyama Sensei’s dojo is in Zakimi Okinawa, mine is in Nagahama (about 5 minutes away from his). I have lived on Okinawa since 1979, and hold the rank of 8th Dan.

My wife Sumako (from Nago) is 5th Dan in UechiRyu, and is also a licensed Yoga instructor (All Japan Total Synthesis Yoga Assn.), certified in Therapeutic Thai Massage (studied in Changmai School of Thai Massage, Thailand), holds a teaching license for Japanese Board of Education, plus contracts to teach Yoga for a local government culture preservation center (Murasaki Mura, Yomitan). Oh yeah – she’s also the Chief of Civilian Security Forces on Kadena Air Force Base...! At this writing she is in India studying Yoga, Indian Dance, and will open a new UechiRyu Zankai branch club there.

For myself, well... By day I work as an English teacher in a Japanese middle school, and I teach dojo 4 evenings per week and on Saturday. I have one major Branch Dojo in Chennai India, with several smaller branch clubs (one of which Sumako will officially open this Sunday). I travel to India to teach and test students every other year, and the Indian Team visits Okinawa on the alternate year. I also have small clubs in Germany, Norway, Canada, the United Kingdom, and other countries. I have no clubs established in the USA (a contemporary UechiRyu stronghold).

Normally I am shy of forums (arguments, debates), but recent developments indicate that a Zankai representative might do well to at least make himself available to the general MA public on some discussion site. There don’t seem to be many other UechiRyu practitioners posting from Okinawa, and the other UechiRyu discussion forums are not frequented so much by members of this one.

I can offer information about UechiRyu history, the Zankai, discuss specific aspects of this style, etc. As far as possible I will stick to provable or documented facts. If I’m unsure I’ll say so; I don’t speculate much (I’ve seen much of what “authoritative speculation” can become over the years!). I won’t engage in debate or political discussions, polemics or the like, nor will I teach students not my own. For some discussions, I may ask for personal contact at my e-mail address. I don’t want to alter anyone’s training or contradict anyone’s teacher, but I can share some understanding or clarifications.

Please visit my site; the URL is found in my profile. It’s just a one-pager on which you will find some additional information, other Zankai links, and exactly 2 pictures...

I’ll do my best not to confuse anyone...!

Welcome to the forum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 year later...

Seizan. It is with great sadness that I offer you my condolences, of your Sensei. Tohyama Seiko Sensei. I clearly feel the pain that many feel. He was a good and strong Master of Uechi Ryu, and not just us as a group of Uechi Ryu have lost him. The world has lost a strong martial artist who transcended this world with his kata.

Osu,