• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know all the Muay Thai guys practice striking in the clinch. But how many of the western boxer and kickboxers spend any length of time on it? Do any of you guys spend time working your clinch striking specifically?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think they do much, because the clinch is mainly used in those styles as a stall mechanism. However, I do think it is a useful idea, to train strikes from the clinch.

• 3 months later...

All professional boxers spend some time learning training techniuqes from their coaches that can be used in variations of the clinch scenario, and most amateur boxers get exposed to similiar training tips. Certain boxers actually specialize in their ability to preform infighting and get the best benefit out of a clinching exchange. They say that the uppercut is the hardest punch in boxing to see, and it often emerges in clinching scenarios. One moment you may be wrestling with the other guy's arms, holding him tight, and in the instant he wrestles one of his arms free it slaps you in the jaw. Uppercuts to the body are difficult to dodge and wear a person down greatly. The primary protection from these attacks is to be so close that the punches are short and deliver less power. I think the majority of martial artists would try to back up or push the opponent away when in a clinch, but certain other martial artists do some of their most effective fighting work from the clinch by applying things like arm locks that can throw the opponent to the ground. Boxing doesn't allow head butts, but if you have a dojo that allows you to practice these with control, you can gain a useful fighting tool. Sometimes the best way to defend against a head butt is to duck so low that you can reverse the situation and use your forehead against the other guy's nose instead of vice versa. Boxers accidentally open up cuts on the other person's eyebrows sometimes with unintentional head butts in the clinching scenario. If you are not wearing boxing gloves, a very powerful attack is to swing your hand up and clap the opponent over the ear. This can not only rupture the ear drum but also cause bleeding from the ear in the process, so you should be careful to only use it with control when training with a partner as it is stronger than most people would expect. Another thing to try in the clinch is to dodge away from an opponent who raises his arm to hook punch you in the head, and while his arm is up, poke him with your fist in the armpit. Armpit shots are painful and very powerful, but you may have trouble doing this if you have bulky boxing gloves on. Martial artists can also use low level kicking attacks in a clinch like stomping on the other guy's foot or driving your knee into the middle front of his thigh muscle. This latter attack is powerfully stunning. Some Tae Kwon Do stylists even recommend using a crescant kick to the head when you are doing infighting, as the leg shooting up from the side usually comes as a big surprise and can knock the other guy in the temple or ear. You just have to be careful he doesn't drive his knee up into your groin when you do this, and balancing takes practice when he might push you at any moment, so you have to be fast. Good luck, -JL.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

Although a bit off-topic, the TKD crescent to the head while clinching can be quite effective, especially in the rules set of Olympic TKD. It could also be a useful kick in the Kickboxing rules set as well.

We train quite a few aspects from the clinch such as starting with controlling you opponent with the plum. Hand strikes, elbows, knees, takedowns, and even escaping and breaking the clinch. Along with this you learn defending all aspects of the clinch as well.

• 2 months later...

I have one entire class a week set aside just for the clinch. Striking within the clinch is one of my favorite things to do. Next would be base disruption leading into greco style take downs.

I have one entire class a week set aside just for the clinch. Striking within the clinch is one of my favorite things to do. Next would be base disruption leading into greco style take downs.

I think that a class on the clinch would be a blast, as well as working with the Greco-Roman take downs.

• 3 weeks later...
All professional boxers spend some time learning training techniuqes from their coaches that can be used in variations of the clinch scenario, and most amateur boxers get exposed to similiar training tips. Certain boxers actually specialize in their ability to preform infighting and get the best benefit out of a clinching exchange. They say that the uppercut is the hardest punch in boxing to see, and it often emerges in clinching scenarios. One moment you may be wrestling with the other guy's arms, holding him tight, and in the instant he wrestles one of his arms free it slaps you in the jaw. Uppercuts to the body are difficult to dodge and wear a person down greatly. The primary protection from these attacks is to be so close that the punches are short and deliver less power. I think the majority of martial artists would try to back up or push the opponent away when in a clinch, but certain other martial artists do some of their most effective fighting work from the clinch by applying things like arm locks that can throw the opponent to the ground. Boxing doesn't allow head butts, but if you have a dojo that allows you to practice these with control, you can gain a useful fighting tool. Sometimes the best way to defend against a head butt is to duck so low that you can reverse the situation and use your forehead against the other guy's nose instead of vice versa. Boxers accidentally open up cuts on the other person's eyebrows sometimes with unintentional head butts in the clinching scenario. If you are not wearing boxing gloves, a very powerful attack is to swing your hand up and clap the opponent over the ear. This can not only rupture the ear drum but also cause bleeding from the ear in the process, so you should be careful to only use it with control when training with a partner as it is stronger than most people would expect. Another thing to try in the clinch is to dodge away from an opponent who raises his arm to hook punch you in the head, and while his arm is up, poke him with your fist in the armpit. Armpit shots are painful and very powerful, but you may have trouble doing this if you have bulky boxing gloves on. Martial artists can also use low level kicking attacks in a clinch like stomping on the other guy's foot or driving your knee into the middle front of his thigh muscle. This latter attack is powerfully stunning. Some Tae Kwon Do stylists even recommend using a crescant kick to the head when you are doing infighting, as the leg shooting up from the side usually comes as a big surprise and can knock the other guy in the temple or ear. You just have to be careful he doesn't drive his knee up into your groin when you do this, and balancing takes practice when he might push you at any moment, so you have to be fast. Good luck, -JL.

I saw a very good boxer a few years back KO a very good muay thai guy(was this boxers first time doing a muay thai fight). Was against Danny Boy Bennet who KO'd JR palmer in the super brawls in the late 90s. I forgot the boxer's name but he uppercutted his way out of Danny boy's clinching and won. So yes, the uppercut can be used very effectively in the clinch. Good advice/info.

Excellent tactic from this position. And one that is probibly underrated by ma-ists in almost all situations.

I think that his has to do with a lot of "traditional" styles not really teaching a pure uppercut punch. Many do teach and "upset" punch, but it usually is just not the same as an uppercut (at least in my experience). It usually isn't quite as tight of a punch.