• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Godan jump...

TraditionalDan

Well, I think everyone has their own reasons for performing kata, whether it be physical, or mental, or whatever. It is a good video Wa-No-Michi suggested...very insightful. It's good to have an open mind--not just for martial arts, but for other things too.

Maybe, but I try to practice Wado Ryu katas in the way, and for the reasons, that I beleive Otsuka meant.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wa-No-Michi, you comment that the nagashizuki is unlikely to lead into a throw - depends how you see it. Suppose it is not a punch, but a thrusting push to the head or the shoulder of the opponent. You thus unbalance them, and complete the sequence by twisting while bending the knees -- lowering your own centre of gravity, thus depositing them on the floor and ending as I've described.

You may think I'm letting my imagination run away with me, but on the other hand there is a picture of Ohtsuka in what appears to be that nagashizuki stance, with his open hand pushing against the opponent's chin.

I can see how that comes in, the way you describe it.

I think that it is important to realize that forms practice is a sterile environment, where everything is clean and crisp, whereas when it comes to resisting application, the appearances of things can change a bit. So, its important to get good practice sessions in on both.

Wa-No-Michi, you comment that the nagashizuki is unlikely to lead into a throw - depends how you see it. Suppose it is not a punch, but a thrusting push to the head or the shoulder of the opponent. You thus unbalance them, and complete the sequence by twisting while bending the knees -- lowering your own centre of gravity, thus depositing them on the floor and ending as I've described.

You may think I'm letting my imagination run away with me, but on the other hand there is a picture of Ohtsuka in what appears to be that nagashizuki stance, with his open hand pushing against the opponent's chin.

I can see how that comes in, the way you describe it.

I think that it is important to realize that forms practice is a sterile environment, where everything is clean and crisp, whereas when it comes to resisting application, the appearances of things can change a bit. So, its important to get good practice sessions in on both.

Yes, training in both Kata and application is vitally important, but when the lines between the two begin to blur this is where I struggle to accept these sort of suggestions, as it seem to remove such a lot of purpose for doing the kata in the first place.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

In my opinion, it's important to have a balance between kata and bunkai. I don't think one should do the kata unless they at least know what he/she is doing for some of the moves. And if he/she doesn't, he/she should ask. Kata itself is important becuase without karate training, all you have is tricks and atheletics and what-not. But this is just my opinion.

All thoughts have consequences.

In my opinion, it's important to have a balance between kata and bunkai. I don't think one should do the kata unless they at least know what he/she is doing for some of the moves. And if he/she doesn't, he/she should ask. Kata itself is important becuase without karate training, all you have is tricks and atheletics and what-not. But this is just my opinion.

I think you are right swadoryu2000, you should always do a kata with meaning and purpose...alive! otherwise it becomes "Igata" which is a japanese word for a mold or cast. In other words it is robotic.

The key here (for me at least) is that I am learning how to move (taisabaki), whilst performing the various techniques that are found within the katas. Its not about the techniques per-se.

• 3 weeks later...

Point of safety. Don’t try to block a kick with your arms in this way. It is not the application of the move and you will end up getting hurt.

Ask your sensei to explain the correct application of the kata.

If he/she tells you that you can stop a leg with crossing your arms in the form of a block, find a new dojo.

I'm not sure I agree. Surely it's in the timing? Someone who has drawn their leg up to kick, but not yet begun to extend can quite safely be blocked in this way, and indeed, the double arms give extra strength to push back knocking the would-be kicker off balance (they are after all only standing on one leng at this time). I would conceed that this is not easy, and carries a certain risk, but then so does all confrontation.

They way we are taught it, the jump in heian godan is to evade a strike at the knees with a bo, so it's all about pulling your knees up under you, then landing to the side, with a double block (for a kick) with kiai.

I've seen the application where this is a throw not a jump, and think this is just as valid.

And I've seen and practiced it where this move in Heian Godan is taught blocking a Mae-Geri. The Gedan Juji-Uke blocking a Mae-Geri is an introduction to almost any grasp/grapping/throwing/etc, already often mentioned in this thread.

Some Martial Artists have even told me that this is an incorrect application. Says who? Nobody holds the license to say what's incorrect and/or correct concerning any aspect of Bunkai and/or the Martial Arts. Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai are, at best, just ones interpretation(s) of any POSSIBLE technique(s) within any given Kata. Oyo practically demands one to be free in self-expression and discoveries within ones own interpretation. Only the practitioner, when being truthful and honest with oneself, is the best to conclude what is effective and what isn't.

Therefore, saying this Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai and/or that Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai is incorrect, is like someone saying that this style of the Martial Arts is better than another style of the Martial Arts. Saying that an application is ineffective, as discovered through training, is more appropriate than incorrect.

IMHO!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!