• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Godan jump...

TraditionalDan

I never understood why some styles have a jump there either. I never questioned it, I assume it serves a purpose. In Koybayashi Ryu we have a throw in that place (view kata below)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/Shorin%20Ryu/th_PinanGodan.jpg

I prefer this explanation as opposed to blocking a kick with your arms. That said I think the guy doing the counting in Japanese needs a bit of "crash" course in pronunciation.

Still, bought a smile to my face. :)

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Zanshin. I know that many times the bunkai of the techniques doesn't really match what it appears to in the form.

In our TKD form Toi Gye, we have a similar move.

Thanks, Zanshin. I know that many times the bunkai of the techniques doesn't really match what it appears to in the form.

The way I look at it is that Kata has many different levels of function ranging from the "physiological" (and the training of the body for strength agility, balance and timing etc.), to the explanation and therefore understanding of martial techniques.

The key is to get a good instructor who can unlock all of katas potential for you.

Can you post a link to a vid of "Toi Gye" so I may compare.

Thanks...

Z

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

The way I look at it is that Kata has many different levels of function ranging from the "physiological" (and the training of the body for strength agility, balance and timing etc.), to the explanation and therefore understanding of martial techniques.

The key is to get a good instructor who can unlock all of katas potential for you.

Can you post a link to a vid of "Toi Gye" so I may compare.

Thanks...

Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoo5Na8dUQ

Here ya go.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Is that guy wearing a watch???

Maybe he thinks it will improve his timing :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks for digging that up for me, ps1. I have been out the past few days!

That is basically the same form I do, but the way our school does it is much quicker, and without the sine wave (bouncing) motions, and the hand techniques are not as circular. Also, when we finish the downward X-block, we are much lower to the ground, and squatting more.

• 6 months later...

Well, the way I do the jump kind of leaves out some detail if I just explain it the way it is. The moves leading up to that helps explain what can be done here. In the Wado-Ryu version (called Pinan Godan), the movement before the actual jump is being in neiko ashi dachi with the left hand in kage tsuki (hook punch) position, and the right hand high above the head, kind of like doing a high age tsuki (rising punch, least that's how I see it). The way I see that move is a throw (grabbing the top part of the gi after punching with the right, grabbing the lower part of the gi with the left, then twisting the hips for an effective throw, etc.).

But when I jump, I bring the two hands in a pullback position, kind of like pulling something up from the ground while bringing my right knee up. I do this to create momentum in the jump. then I land with a gedan juji uke (low x-block), with the right hand over left. Could be avoiding a bo sweep or something, then comming down on it to prevent it form being used. But that's how I do the jump. Sorry for the long explination.

All thoughts have consequences.

Hi Swadoryu2000, I practise wado ryu as well. I also think the jump is in fact training you for a throw. For my BB test I devised a pair technique based on the sequence leading up to and through the "jump". The jump part was actually twisting and throwing the opponent, ending with the with the knee pressed into their ribs and the juji uke being used as a choke on the throat.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)