TraditionalDan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood why some styles have a jump there either. I never questioned it, I assume it serves a purpose. In Koybayashi Ryu we have a throw in that place (view kata below)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/Shorin%20Ryu/th_PinanGodan.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Hi Armanox,

I suppose in a way, these movements are very similar to the movement in Heian Nidan (without the jump) where you have stepped forward and made an augmented block (Tsukami Uke?) then you have moved the back leg round anti clockwise to make a left Gedan Barai. I have seen this particular movement taught as a block to an incoming middle level punch and then, without a counter to follow the block, turn away to face another opponent. While I suppose there is some measure of merit in this theory, I am not comfortable with it myself and much prefer the blocking/trapping turning hip throw application which as I said earlier, if you added a little jump, you would have a very similar move to those from Heian Godan.

Ajay

what i was told, and it makes good sense, is that the jump is symbolic of a flying side kick to an opponent who is a decent distance from you, but mid air you see the opponent is going to kick, and completley destroy you because of this flying side kick, so it gets switched to a long x block, in the cross stance. that is my understanding, and it makes sense in my two different forms pyung ahn oh dan and 5 pinan.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 2 weeks later...
you're then executing an X-block at an opponents kick.

:)

Why would you do that?... Although blocking a kick with both your arms is an option, it is a dangerous one.

Also, if you use both hands to stop one limb of an opponent, you are effectively tying up both hands, giving yourself nothing to block/parry a secondary technique that might follow on from a kick from an opponent. Basic Budo rule of thumb, try not to use two limbs against one as you instantly reduce your defensive options.

The technique in the kata may be representative of an X block against an opponents kick, but I would be reluctant to teach that as an reason for doing it.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

you're then executing an X-block at an opponents kick.

:)

Why would you do that?... Although blocking a kick with both your arms is an option, it is a dangerous one.

Also, if you use both hands to stop one limb of an opponent, you are effectively tying up both hands, giving yourself nothing to block/parry a secondary technique that might follow on from a kick from an opponent. Basic Budo rule of thumb, try not to use two limbs against one as you instantly reduce your defensive options.

The technique in the kata may be representative of an X block against an opponents kick, but I would be reluctant to teach that as an reason for doing it.

this is true but afterwards is an immediate throw(often represented by a two hand block, stupid, i know) so now its applicable because even though its two against one, they soon have nothing because they become horizontal.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I haven't looked back in a while, but what would the move represent, in your eyes, Zanshin?

I haven't looked back in a while, but what would the move represent, in your eyes, Zanshin?

Hmm... I think that X blocks in general could represent numerous techniques. Maybe it is better to look at it is practice for co-ordination of two techniques at the same time for example:-

1. The moving down / pressing of an opponent's guard with one hand so that you can punch them over the top with the other. or...

2. The parrying of an opponent's kick to the side again freeing up the other hand strike.

But thats just a few off the top of my head and NewEnglands_KyoSas throw is another.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com