TraditionalDan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just wondering how people perform the jump in Heian Godan?

I am looking into the details of this jump, so any information whatsoever would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi. Our school has taught the Heian Godan jump this way. After the low punch then the high punch (where you are basically standing straight up with one Fist high in the air..just before the jump). We do a high jump bringing both knees into the chest while our fists are at our waist. When we land, we land in a low x cross stance with are arms crossed in a x fashion. We Kiai when we land.

We do our jump facing forward....I have seen lots of other schools do the jump and land to the side but ours is facing the front. Hope this helps....kind of hard to explain it lol.

I am just wondering how people perform the jump in Heian Godan?

I am looking into the details of this jump, so any information whatsoever would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

That's a very interesting question and, (as a Wado boy that does "Pinan" as opposed to ""Heian" Godan) if I may be permitted to participate, I think its very important to first understand why you are doing the jump, and then try to perfect how to do the jump, and then how to land it, so you are in the best position to move into your next technique.

Bear in mind that the Pinan/Heian katas were developed as a way to practice and hone the movements and techniques that you would do later in the senior katas. So in effect they do not have an "absolute" bunkai (but then again no Kata does).

Get your feet up and out of the way as quickly as possible. Its not so much about achieving height on the jump, its about how quick you can whip you ankles out of the line of attack. Knees up to chest!! How you achieve this is up to you. You must watch how your sensei moves and emulate him. Some styles do an exaggerated the back swing of the preceding urazuki, to generate inertia, but personally I don’t think that’s the way to go, as in my eyes that’s not the best martial approach.

Then, I think that the most important part of this section of the kata is training your body to land "lightly" in an efficient way (don’t let your behind touch your ankles), so that you can spring into your next technique.

This teaches you agility. Which is the reason to train in this Kata in the fist place.

Then we move on to Kushanku / Kanku Dai … OMG!!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

In our Pinan 5 we were told the jump was to come down, x-block...to block a persons kick. It was never clear to us that if someone was that far away from us why we'd want to jump over there to block. Let him come to us. But it never was clear WHY we did it. Knowing WHY we felt would give us insight into HOW to do it.

In our Pinan 5 we were told the jump was to come down, x-block...to block a persons kick. It was never clear to us that if someone was that far away from us why we'd want to jump over there to block. Let him come to us. But it never was clear WHY we did it. Knowing WHY we felt would give us insight into HOW to do it.

The x block is to block a kick. As for the jump our sensei told us it could be to avoid a sweep or maybe even a staff/weapon.

The x block is to block a kick. As for the jump our sensei told us it could be to avoid a sweep or maybe even a staff/weapon.

Principle being to be agile.

Point of safety. Don’t try to block a kick with your arms in this way. It is not the application of the move and you will end up getting hurt.

Ask your sensei to explain the correct application of the kata.

If he/she tells you that you can stop a leg with crossing your arms in the form of a block, find a new dojo.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

yes i have performed it. But i dont use it offten. If i were to tell you the information about it i would just be repeating what the others have said. They have good information. above.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Whilst in most situations, the (lower) x block would be used to block a kick, in this instance, I believe it is used differently. Before the actual jump is performed, there is a movement where there is an uchiuke type block performed in a cross stance. I believe that this is actually a grabbing action where you have grabbed your opponent, who has atacked you from behind, applied a joint lock (the uchiuke type movement) and then thrown your opponent over your shoulder, much like a wrestler's running slam and then driven your right knee into his abdomen while at the same time applying a strangle, (using his clothing as a lever), or a right armbar to the throat, this being the juji uke motion.

Ajay