• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choi Kwang Do...anyone had any experience with this?

I have read several articles on this relatively new Korean style. Apparently, the moves are designed to be more efficient and easier for the body to perform, but I don't know much about it. Has anyone else heard of this style, or had any experience with it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's the official homepage:http://www.choikwangdo.com/index.php

Like you mentioned, it's a TKD derivative- apparently based out of Georgia (?). I looked at some videos on youtube as well, plus from another Choi site (http://www.eackd.com/index.php?page=multimedia). Personally I think a lot of it is hype- the kicks are similar to TKD (although sometimes looking a bit 'loose'), and it uses boxing style hands. However, look at this statement found on their site:

it’s a non-contact, non-fighting, non-competitive art that stresses mental, physical, emotional and social development, Choi Kwang Do promotes non-violent resolutions to conflict, practical solutions to cardiovascular improvement, and enjoyable methods of exercise.

That's right. No sparring at all (they don't allow training with other arts either) and a heavy emphasis on attracting a family audience with exercise claims. The only sparring video I found on youtube was non contact and didn't look so great (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QRQjV0ABQM8&feature=related). While I do think point sparring is not the ideal, it is a lot better then forcing your practitioners to not make any contact at all. Apparently, this art has a following in the UK and US.

EDIT: A bit more research- apparently the grandmaster made a lot of enemies in the world of TKD politics back in the home country. Also- his grandson was given a blackbelt at 2 years old! Don't believe me?

I dunno, it seems like something to stay away from in my opinion. TKD, TSD, HKD, etc would probably be a better bet.

Edited by NightOwl

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmm, non-contact, non-fighting sounds a lot like non-Martial Art. I don't see how it can be beneficial. I am sure his movement exercises may be sound, however, it sounds like it may give people a false sense of confidence when it comes to self-defense.

Reading around, it seems like there are some shady practices going on too like black belt clubs and the like.

I don't mind if it is just for exercise though- I have no problem with someone teaching tae bo. But most tae bo people aren't making claims that it is one of the most effective styles for real life confrontations.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I have seen and dealt with the Black Belt Club mess; I don't get too worked up about it. What I need to see is the content of the "club."

What I want to see is a black belt club kind of like those airline clubs you see at the airport. I'd definately be down for overpriced martinis :D

~Theodore Roosevelt

What I want to see is a black belt club kind of like those airline clubs you see at the airport. I'd definately be down for overpriced martinis :D

:lol: Frequent Kicking Miles redemption programs! :lol:

Dunno about you lot but on the back of the doboks look remarkably like the ITF trees with the words changed. And that 2year old blackbelt is ridiculous. Fair enough if the kid wants to train but what does that say about the standard of blackbelts if a 2 year old who can barely walk has one.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think you are right about the backs of the uniforms; he was an ITF black belt before.

Is the child perhaps just wearing a kiddy costume?

I think you are right about the backs of the uniforms; he was an ITF black belt before.

Yeah I managed to freeze frame it and the embroidery is identical apart from the words have been changed.

Is the child perhaps just wearing a kiddy costume?

I don't think so. There are quite a few videos of him "training".

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=choikwangdo

There is also this 7 year old who is blackbelt...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius