• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips or resources for Japanese?

Weedman

Starting MA is overwhelming at times when you realize how much there is to learn and how steep the curve is...then throw in the fact that your sensei refers to the techniques in Japanese and I become totally boggled. I have never been good with languages (I can barely get by with the simplest french even though I live in Canada which is bilingual). Can anyone point me to good resource materials, books, websites, that will help me with the fundamentals of Japanese?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you just want some fundamentals, you could see if your local community college has some classes. However I don't know how much that will help you as far as Japanese for martial arts classes go. I've been studying Japanese for going on 7 years and I can't tell you how to say 'flying sidekick' in Japanese (beyond a guess). It's mostly technical words that you probably would best find on a karate site rather than one dedicated to Japanese language.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Just google japanese karate terms you should be able to find plenty of sites that offer what you're looking for. I did thins and came up with a four page list for the advanced kids and the lower ranking adults a year or so ago. I did it simply because I thought some would find the terms interresting.