• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing a Technique: The Steps to Make it Work

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

As we all probably found out when we asked our 20 pound lighter friend to "grab my wrist and see what happens," very early into our martial arts careers, it takes more than a quick demonstration and a try on an uke for technique to be ready for actual usage. Instead of coming off looking like Steven Segal, you come off looking like... well, probably not much better than Steven Segal. Embarrassing yourself in front of your friends for their free amusement is one thing, but how about the drunk biker who doesn't take too kindly to your critiques of impressionism in French art? (It could happen). Unlike with your friend, failure doesn't mean just a bruised ego, and unfortunately many martial artists have not taken their technique training to the level needed to give you a good chance of pulling something off successfully. Here are the steps in the process.

1. The Demo

OK, this is the one EVERYONE has. The primary purpose is for someone who knows the technique to show it, so that those who don't can understand it. Mind, you aren't actively participating as the learner, but it is still a step, so I'm putting it in here. Also, this is usually how recruiting is done - demos never fail and they always work flawlessly. However, it is important to keep in mind that demos aren't real life.

2. Slow Application (No Resistance)

Depending on the move, this step can take a long or short time. Regardless, the point is to slowly break down the technique until you can perform it on an uke without mistake. You need to make sure that you have the base mechanics down before you go at it full speed. Otherwise, you are likely to, at best, be sloppy or, at worst, ingrain bad habits. No resistance is given and time is taken for learning. Eventually, you can gradually speed up until...

3. Full Speed (No Resistance)

Once you have the move down, it is time to go at regular speed. After all, if you actually used it at slow speed, it would be worthless in real life unless you are fighting in an illegal tournament known only as the "Kumite" at your local retirement home. Note: it is important that your uke go at full speed as well. If you are practicing for a counter attack to a punch and your uke gives a half hearted haymaker - you are NOT training for a counter to a punch. You are training for a counter to a half hearted inward swing of an arm. If you are going full speed and your uke isn't, you aren't truly training at full speed - the speed that you would face under "working conditions."

Up until now, I've gone over what most would consider standard training. However, unfortunately, just training up until this point does not mean you can use the move outside of your training partner. In fact, if you can perform the move at full speed against a compliant partner, you have learned the mechanics - but not necessarily the technique. What do I mean?

As an example, any 13 year old understands how a car works and how you drive it. However, not many 13 year olds actually could drive (at least I didn't do so well). Likewise, from the demo to the application, you learned how the move is done and what to do. But, you have yet to put the keys in the ignition and drive. This is where I feel many martial arts schools fail their students and many martial artists trick themselves into thinking that the wrist lock, that makes the 270 pound white belt fall to his knees in class, will work on a 160 pound man with little remorse if he spends a couple of nights in jail for starting trouble.

There are many reasons why people do not go beyond step 3. Reasons range from being "too deadly" to claiming that a resisting uke disrupts an esoteric "balance" and therefore violates some unwritten martial artist code. Whatever the reason given, there is not much getting around the fact that in order to see if you can actually do something - you have to actually do it. "Testing day" for a technique can be in the gym or it can be when it is do or die. But (as much as I hate to pull in the guy), I think Bruce "best martial artist ever according to dorm room walls" Lee likened it best when he compared studying fighting without fighting to practicing swimming but never going into the pool. It's time to go into the deep end.

4. Full Speed (Light Resistance)

The logical step up from step 3 besides being the next highest number. Why not full on gun-ho resistance as I seemed to implicate? Because most people can't handle full resistance yet. Yes, it seemed to all click and be so easy doing that awesome scissor sweep! But, anyone who has done a lot of hard training can tell you that once you start letting your partner react like a normal human being would, your confidence in if you really could pull it off drops dramatically. It is a different game and you realize that you almost have to relearn the move a second time.

Mind, you couldn't do that at all if it weren't for steps 1-3, so by no means are they useless - they are essential! Nevertheless, they are only part of the learning process and now you need to be slowly introduced to pressure training. At first, it shouldn't be too much - just pushing back a little, not falling over unless you are really put off balance, etc. Once you can get that down it is time for...

5. Full Speed (Medium Resistance)

Fairly self explanatory. Your partner should be pushing back - attacking more than once if you can't catch him and escaping if you don't get things right.

6. Full Speed (Full Resistance)

By this point, you should be getting to be able to use the technique, even if the recipient actively doesn't want you to. Also, if resistance training is new to you, you'll probably have realized at this point how much someone fighting back makes a difference. I, not too long ago, had my first randori in Judo. Suddenly, moves that would make my uke fall on the mat (even when legitimately unbalancing and throwing them without them going along with it) became extremely hard to pull off when my opponent was constantly moving, fighting back with their own moves and actively resisting throw attempts.

It is a very different experience and it will take a bit for your body to get used to the stress of it. However if you want to learn how to fight well, it isn't always going to be comfortable. This stage of training tests to see if you can use the technique even if your opponent is fighting back as hard as they can and to truly know if you have mastered this stage, you need to practice against different people as well (especially people lighter and heavier than yourself).

7. Sparring (Medium to Full Contact)

This is it. Some denounce sparring as a "sport" - and it can be true that sparring can be pursued just for the sake of sparring. However, the original intent of sparring is for it to be a training tool - and many miss that. Yes, it is not the same as the "street." But, is throwing a completely compliant uke across the room any closer?

In fact, I would argue that such a regulated setting has even more "rules" than sparring (sparring is often criticized for having rules). The fact of the matter is that it is the closest you can get to an actual combat situation and still have everything in a controlled setting. Once you can pull off a technique in this environment- where not only is your partner resisting techniques, but actively attacking you at the same time, you know you are ready.

Thus it is these 7 easy (?) steps to fully learning a technique to the point where you have a good chance of making it work. It isn't exactly free of Tylenol and a couple of bandages every now and then, but it has proven itself to work. Is it possible for someone to only go to step 3 and make something work? It's possible even for just step 2. However, it decreases the probability that you will be able to use it in real life if you don't train for it.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Really good article, with some really good points. I agree that this is a really good progression and ma-ist of all styles should be using something like it.

I would stess randomized attacks during all phases past 3 from the attacker that would elicit techinical responses from the trainee that he was working on. This would only enuse his ability to not only apply a specific movement,but also to switch between tactics as situations changed. This will probibly h appen automatically in the sparring step but you can start to train it ealier.

Again, excellent article that address weakness that many fighters have.

Excellent article, NightOwl! This approach to technique work is so important, and many times it is stopped to soon.

I see this alot in the DT/Hapkido circles. Aikido gets its fair share of these accusations as well. Aikido/Hapkido techniques can be approached in this manner, past step 3. What is important is to keep safety in mind at all times, and to make sure that the participants have a good feel for when a technique is getting close, is "there," and how to stop it before its too late. Likewise, having the sense to tap comes into play. Even techniques like eye-gouges can be done at full speed, if the proper protection is worn.

Great article. Like the way you've broken it down into levels.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 4 weeks later...

I especially liked the example of "grab my wrist and see what happens." My instructor had introduced different releases from such a grab, as well as the appropriate self-defense responses. The other adult males tend to be larger than I am, so I am actually happy to have them use a strong grip when practicing, and certain responses are to break the grip first, then continue with a counter-seize or a strike. I have never had a problem with breaking the grip of any of the males in the dojang. When my father grabbed my wrist, I made the move that broke everyone else's grip, only to find his hand still seizing me--his arm stretched out, but still holding on. He had done exactly what I had asked him to do, to hold my wrist as tightly as possible, but he had not tightened up his arm as though he were going to harm me, meaning it was, well, like spaghetti.

I spoke with my instructor, who understood how this sometimes happens, and that as the other students in the dojang are looking to play the bad guy by gripping as hard as they can, they are working against their ability to flow with my move--which "spaghetti arms" will do. But what do I do if I run into this in a real-life situation? Suppose the opponent does the same or is just lucky? She showed me how to twist more at the hips/waist, moving my seized wrist in a greater arc, stretching the grip of the opponent beyond the bounds of the dreaded spaghetti arms maneuver.

It was actually fortunate for me to have encountered this surprise. The dojang offers the ideal conditions; outside the dojang, the other guy doesn't have a copy of the script. I've incorporated that greater twist into my release, so that now I do it automatically.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 3 weeks later...